Chapter Twenty Five - Linger

Start from the beginning

“Hey,” a brash voice yapped, triggering those ghastly recurring shivers of fright to tremble up her body. Katerina brought her knees together and buried her head into her shoulder, clasping her wet eyelids tightly shut and chewing anxiously at the inside of her cheek. Please, she pleaded to herself, as her whole body quivered chaotically, as if a snow storm and engulfed her, and swallowed up any warmth in the room. Please, please just make it where he will leave. Please I want this to end. I can’t do it. I can’t…

“Hey!” the voice barked again. Katerina squealed soundlessly and jerked her body when something harshly knocked against the side of her foot. Her eyes scanned to her feet, where a daunting black combat boot mounted on the floor, with the toes pointing towards Katerina’s foot. Katerina coughed silently with her mouth and teeth barred together, as she chocked on the clump of air that slowly crawled down her throat. When she swallowed it she slowly craned her neck upwards, to finally look upon the fearsome brute in front of her. When she peered up, her dull almond shaped eyes fluttered open, with splashes of tears sprinkling out into the air. A clump of matted hair hung over half of her face, as if one side of her was hiding behind a curtain.

“Remember me bitch!” the man in front growled. He was heavy built, with robust arms and a bulky frame; plastered from head to toe in the cyclical black and yellow combat armour.  His hair was fair, and he bore a thick tousled beard along his squared jaw. His nose was fat and distorted, and his eyes were an ailing grey colour with no light to the orbs. What startled her, was the fresh, jagged blood-red scar that traced from his left temple all the way down to his bottom lip. His lip then curled up into a vicious scowl.

Katerina squealed as the man seized the chair and suspended it on its two back legs so that Katerina was almost hanging in the air. She winced at the hiss of his blade being tugged out from its sheath and whimpered as he held it beside her face. Fuck! Katerina mused with a muffled whimper, fuck I know him. He was one of the guards that brought me here. But not just any guard… fuck!

“Look at me!” he growled; his voice shaking and crackling from his rage, “look what you fuckin’ did!”

Katerina winced to the cold metal of the blade biting at her skin. Don’t move, don’t move Kat, she told herself, swallowing her startled breaths and biting onto her lip and she hesitantly gaped at the man who hissed like a wild beast in front of her. Her lips parted, and a gust of air slowly drifted from her mouth. She tried to speak; only a crackled croak spurted from her lips and rumbled in her throat. She tried again, “I…” she muttered, choking on her ragged breath, “I didn’t do that.”

“Fuckin liar!” he spat, juddering the chair in his harsh grasp, making Katerina shriek, tensing her body as if t turned to stone. “It was you who brought that fucking cat out wasn’t it! And now look! Look at my fuckin’ face! My mate is dead in the grass because of you! And now! Now it’s time for you to pay for it you little bitch!”

His blade gently brushed against Katerina’s cheek, slowly skimming across her lip, trailing the border of her nose, and them probing at her eyebrow – if he jabbed the blade a little harder he would draw blood. “Maybe,” he hissed, as Katerina screeched through her gritted teeth, “maybe I’ll start by giving you a pretty little scar starting from here, then drag the blade all the way down to your chin. And pierce the metal right through your eye!” “You wouldn’t be pretty anymore.”

Katerina’s heart thudded against her ribcage, with her body fidgeting in the chair as he traced his blade across her skin. Her tender hands clenched into fists and she barred her lip tightly shut as the man tossed the blade to the floor.

“So maybe,” the man hissed, with an alarming chuckle shaking in his throat, “as a little starter…” The man chuckled as he dropped the chair, swinging the chair and Katerina backwards. Katerina’s body rattled from side to side as the chair toppled to the ground, and a shriek exploded from her lips as her body and head crashed against the floor. The snapping of wood rang through her ears like a siren, and Katerina moaned uncomfortably to the piece of wood that was quarrying into her lower back. Her hands suddenly felt free, and when she scanned to her hands and feet she saw how the rope was no longer bounded to them. She frowned, glaring at the bruises and trickles of blood engraved around her wrists and ankles.