Chapter Thirteen - Desperation

Night had overrun the day and the moon had replaced the sun and glowed beautifully behind the archway of trees outside. It was a quiet night. No animals were stirring and the pirates seemed calmer and more tranquil, compared to their normal loud, obnoxious behaviour that they projected - most likely due to too many drinks or an overdose of the drugs they were growing. No, tonight they were silent. Even the timid captives had silenced their solemn cries and the moans of the breeze was just a distant memory. It was a warm night. The air was humid and still.

Katerina had been waiting for Vaas' next move for hours. She had been sitting on the cold floor, for what felt like an eternity, waiting, inspecting her fingernails, probing at the new cuts on her legs and curling her knotted her in her fingers. But nothing had happened yet. She was beginning to think that nothing ever will. Where is he? She thought, in frustration. She knew he was eventually going to show up, it was his room right? But why did he have to drag it out so that it became a dreaded torment? It had been dark for hours and still he hadn't shown his face. Why? It was becoming really aggravating for her. Yes, she didn't really want to see him, in fact she would rather stay away from him, he was an evil, barbaric, brutal monster and she hated him, but she was cooped in his room like a hopeless pet confined to a small dark cage, so she had no choice but to see him again. But why the drag? It was agonising waiting in dismay. She didn't want to be caught off guard. Hence why she refused to shut her eyes and hence was she locked her gaze on the horrid red door and listened carefully for any noises outside which could be him. Seriously, where was he? She began counting the minutes a few hours after it turned dark. She was up to 176. Four more minutes and it would be another three hours. "Why isn't he here?" she groused with sigh, lobbing her face into the palm of her hand, "He said that he would be back later, didn't he? That did mean today, right?"

"185," she sighed, tugging at the ends of the blue fabric that was swathed around her tender feet, "186."

Katerina had even refused to move from where she was left, only ever getting up to retreat to a dark little box room at the back of the shack which was the bathroom, which unfortunately was just a hole in the ground – though she did expect that, so wasn't too shocked about it.

Was he ever going to show? The night was dragging and still not a whisper, from anyone. Normally this would put someone at ease but it startled Katerina, and made her wary. But it came to a point where she couldn't stop her eyelids from falling, and when her head fell to her shoulder her body became limp, and she slowly faded away into a slumber.

She awakened startled, the golden glow from the sun blinding her. Her body jolted in fright and she fell to the side, timidly glancing over to Vaas' bed, where the horrid man himself sat with both elbows resting on his knees, glaring avidly at Katerina as she collapsed to the floor. Her knotted hair fell over her head like a curtain and shrouded parts of her face. Though, even beneath the clump of hair you could still see the slowly healing graze across her cheek, along with the purple and red circular mark on her forehead above her eye, and a small bruise on her cheek bone, and the split in her bottom lip which looked agonizing for her. Vaas couldn't help but vaguely frown at what was in front of him, though he swiftly shook it off with an unnerving, fiendish smile. Katerina snarled in a discreet manner, why is it that he always shows up like that? She bitterly thought to herself, as she slowly sat up – her arms shaking as she pushed them on the ground. Her whole body trembled and she winced, clenching her teeth to the pain that flowed around her body. To make it worst her throat was burning like a blaze, her stomach muscles were painfully twisting and scrunching due to her hunger, and her head felt like it was going to explode. She needed water, desperately, and food, she needed something to eat, anything. She feared that she would wither away into nothing soon, but was still very afraid to ask Vaas for anything. Instead she sat there, barring her lips shut, smothering her whines, patiently and obediently waiting for Vaas to say or do something that would determine her fate.