Chapter Nine: In the Silent City Pt. 2

Start from the beginning

"That's the opposite of what I told you to do."

"Did Riya teach you to fight like that?"

"What?" The change of topic caught Silay off guard.

"When you caught me. Did Riya teach you that?"

"Yes."

Talis nodded, as if this information meant something to him. "You fought well."

"And what does that have to do with the price of cheese?"

He shrugged. "Just thought you'd like to know."

There was a moment of silence before Silay spoke. "She's sick. Riya, I mean. Because of you. Because you led that magician to us."

"I know." There was remorse in Talis' voice, but Silay couldn't tell if it was genuine or not. He looked up and met her eyes.

"Do you have any idea what it's like? Trying to live up to some amazing Destiny with no idea how to do it?"

"No," Silay said drily. "I don't."

"Oh, right. I forgot." Talis sighed and dropped his gaze. "One of the Dagrosa council members told me about the plague. Since I have a Hero-like Destiny, he thought I might be able to help." He shrugged. "But the Seer wouldn't tell me anything about it. So I left to see what I could find on my own."

"And you met Kahoz."

"No. I met Kade." He looked back up. "I truly never meant for anyone to get hurt. I just thought that this was my chance to be great, you know? I'd get close to Kade, figure out what was going on, and stop the plague."

"But you changed your mind and decided to help them attack us instead?"

"No!" Talis stood up. "Kahoz got suspicious when he learned you and I were both from Dagrosa. He made me take a blood oath. And I was afraid of what he would do if I refused."

Silay stared at him for a moment, digesting this. "You still did wrong," she said finally. "The Seer told you not to get involved."

"I'm not asking for forgiveness. Just for help."

"Then ask someone else. Go or stay, I don't care." Silay turned to leave, but stopped to look back at Talis. "But if you do stay, you'll have to find your own food. We're running low on supplies."

She left the room and headed towards the kitchen. A few moments later, Silay heard Talis walk out of the house, and realized she was unsure whether she wanted him to leave or come back. She didn't trust him, or even like him, but she could relate with his uncertainty about the future. And, selfishly, she didn't want to feel the guilt she knew she would if something bad happened to him.

Silay threw herself down into the kitchen chair, and Jarlen handed her a mug of tea.

"That," he commented, "wasn't exactly what I thought you meant when you said you would 'handle it'."

"Sorry." Silay sighed. "I just didn't want to deal with him anymore."

Jarlen sat down across from her. "Are you all right?"

Silay looked up and was surprised to see how worried he looked. "I'm fine. Just a little tired."

Jarlen chuckled. "'Fine'?" Now you sound like Riya."

She shrugged. "Maybe she's rubbing off on me."

"That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I meant my question. Are you all right?"

"I don't know." Silay stared at her tea in silence for a moment. "I'm not sure what I expected when I started out, but it wasn't this."

"Nobody expected this."

"Is that supposed to make me feel better?"

"Perhaps. There was always the chance of danger when you set out, but I don't think the Seer would have sent you, unprepared as you are, if anyone had thought you would be attacked."

"She didn't know there was a person behind the plague."

"And now she does. Now we all do. Because of you."

"But I didn't do anything!" Silay exclaimed.

"Exactly!" Jarlen gave a small smile. "That was always the plan, remember? Things have changed. The future has changed. And the only thing different from the seers' original visions was you."

"Except now there's a war coming."

"Everything has consequences. You know that."

There was a long silence.

"Jarlen?"

"Yes?"

"Do you really think my blood could help stop the plague?"

Jarlen paused before answering. "I don't know for certain, but I do believe there's a very real possibility it could."

Silay nodded her head slowly, making her decision. "Then when we get back to Sojan, I'll let you try."

"Thank you."

_________________________

So, what do you all think of Talis now? Has he won you over yet? Do you think he is leaving, or do think he'll come back? Let me know in the comments!

If you liked the chapter, please let me know by voting and clicking the star :)

P.S. Sorry for all the short posts lately. I promise there will be some longer ones soon.