Chapter Nine: In the Silent City Pt. 2

Silay was woken up by the sound of Riya thrashing against her blankets. She jumped to her feet and grabbed Riya's shoulder, shaking it gently.

"Riya? Riya, wake up. You're dreaming."

Riya continued her imaginary struggle, and Silay shook her shoulder harder. "Riya? Riya. Riya!"

Riya shot up into a sitting position, breathing hard.

Silay instinctively jerked her hand away, then tentatively replaced it back on Riya's shoulder.

"It's all right. You were just dreaming."

Riya blinked a few times. "Silay? What-I thought-"

"It's all right. Just a dream. Whatever it was, it isn't real."

Riya shook her head. "It was though. Just not anymore." She looked up. "I'm fine. Really." She gave a small smile, but Silay could tell it was forced. "I could use a cup of tea, though."

Silay hesitated, not sure if she should leave, but Riya gave her hand a gentle push off her shoulder. "Go. I'm fine."

"All right, then." Silay didn't believe her, but had a feeling Riya wanted to be left alone, so she headed towards the kitchen.

* * *

Jarlen was already in the kitchen when Silay entered. He nodded a greeting. "The water is boiling. There'll be tea soon."

"Good." Silay sat down at the table. "I'll take a cup for Riya, too."

"Is she up? How is she?"

Silay shrugged. "I'm not sure. I know you're not a Healer, and the problem is magical, but-"

Jarlen smiled at her as he poured a cup of tea. "I'll look in on her. See if there is anything I can do."

"Thanks." Silay reached out to take the cup, but was interrupted by a pounding from the door down the hall.

"Hey! Remember me? Any chance of getting some food?"

Silay stopped, her hand halfway to the cup of tea. "Drats. I'd almost forgotten about Talis." She dropped her outstretched hand. "You want to take the tea, and I'll go deal with him?"

Jarlen raised an eyebrow. "Are you sure?"

"I'm sure." Silay's voice was grim."

"All right. Shout if you need anything."

"I will."

Silay stood and exited the kitchen, a single thought circling in her mind. She was done. Done dealing with Talis and his lies. She was fairly certain his threats were empty, and he was more dangerous near them, where he could be tracked, than out on his own. He had stopped shouting, but was still hitting the door in a half-hearted manner when Silay threw it open.

"Out!"

Talis froze mid-knock. "Out where?"

"I don't care. Just get out."

"I'm free to go?"

"Isn't that what I just said?"

"But-" Talis paused. "If I leave, Kahoz will just grab me again."

"I really don't care." There was a sharp edge to Silay's voice.

"I came to you for help. You're supposed to be the good guys."

"And you threw in your lot with the bad guys. It's called consequences."

Much to Silay's surprise, Talis walked back into the room and sat down on the edge of the bed. She glared at him.