Friend

A/N: Just a short fic. This passed by my imagination and wanted to save it. Nothing much. Still, I hope you'd like this. Leave a comment. xoxo

Despite The Script moderately playing in her earphone, the faint, careful clicking of the room's doorknob was enough to distract the long haired brunette from reading and lift her head slightly off her pink pillow, watching the bedroom door being pushed quietly and revealing a 5'10" man in a navy blue shirt and brown ankle pants, facial features shadowed by the unlit room. The man raised an eyebrow meeting the sleepy eyes of his still awake friend lying on the bottom right bunk bed, where top was his. She mouthed a "hi" and he responded with a tired smile.

He quietly entered the room as much as he can, then slowly placing his hefty black backpack at the foot of their bunk bed, before sitting at the edge of her mattress, leaning on one wooden leg of its ladder.

"Why are you still awake?" He quietly asked after she took off one of her earphone, briefly taking his brown eyes off of her and to her sister, making sure he wouldn't wake up the blonde laying on the top of the other bunk bed. He noticed how the brunette's eyes darted away for a second before answering him.

"I woke up a little while ago and I couldn't sleep back." The brunette answered at the same hushed tone as he did. He nodded, but not totally buying it.

"You watching?" He leaned in closer to take a glimpse of her phone screen.

"Nope. Reading." She watched him for a while, eyes glued to her phone's screen but probably not reading nor even interested, she concluded when she felt his body started leaning heavily on her stomach.

"Hey, Sungjae." The brunette nudge the other's shoulder with her free arm, "You're falling asleep. Go upstairs now." She commanded, huskily (which she didn't intend to as she was trying to wake up the falling asleep man with her very low voice, since whispering surely wouldn't have an effect)

"I'm too tired, Joy." Sungjae grudgingly answered a beat later, sleep and tiredness coming onto him obviously. The brunette couldn't help but smile when she saw his lips protruding into a pout. She was about to offer him her bed (taking his for the night, of course) when he beat her to it, "Can I just sleep here?"

"Sure." Joy muttered under her breath, but loud enough for him to hear in the midst of the quiet night.

"Come up here, 'Jae." She instructed when the tired man didn't move from his position - half of his body was leaning on Joy while his lower limbs were hanging on the side of her bed. "'Jae. Yook Sungjae, please. If you're gonna sleep, at least, sleep comfortably."

Sungjae knew how persistent Joy would be until she gets what she wants. It doesn't always happen but when it comes to him, especially waking him up, it's a whole different situation. So he willed himself to open his eyes and slid up until his head meet her plump pillow that smelled of vanilla.

Joy made a move to crawl out of her bed and occupy the top bunk. The brunette wouldn't want his sister to find them in the morning sleeping on one bed. That would be embarrassing (and awkward for her). But Joy was startled when her name was called.

Sungjae was looking at her under his long and beautiful lashes, untouched natural thick eyebrows scrunched at the middle as the raven haired was so close to being annoyed not having to get the sleep he wanted. Joy, understanding his frustration, mouthed an apology and pointed a finger upwards, informing him that she would take his bunk.

"Just sleep here." The raven haired stated in the matter of fact as he turned to his side, facing her with arms crossed on his chest, "It's big enough for the two of us."

Joy opened her mouth to protest when the youngest one in the room moaned sleepily as she tossed to her opposite side. She looked back at her now sleeping friend, thInking how just two months after they finally (after months of postponing) rented a dorm, here they are, already sharing a bed.

If Sungjae doesn't give a fuck, why would she, right?

Oh well, the answers obvious.

Damn this silly crush that won't go away.

The younger laid back down, pulling her blue blanket up (debating if she would cover the other too with her blanket but decided not to). As if sleeping side by side was not enough to bother Joy for the whole night (and a lifetime), Sungjae moved closer to her, leaning his forehead on the brunette's shoulder. Joy waited for her heart to beat erratically, as it would for rare, intimate moments with Sungjae such as this, but it never came. She breathes and her heart beats naturally as if this was normal, as if they have been doing this for years now.

The brunette woke up with a start (didn't even know when and how she fell asleep), sitting up abruptly (which made her a little dizzy) when she realized the room was bright not because of switched on lightbulb but coming from outside. She just got ahold of her iPhone to check the time when the bathroom door opened, Sungjae in black slacks (and nothing else but black towel draped over his shoulder, long enough to thankfully cover his chest. Two months of morning like this and yet, the brunette couldn't get used seeing the milky white lean bod with a bit of fats around his tummy) stepping out and onto the mat, drying his feet before slipping them on his slippers.

"Morning, sleepyhead." The older warmly greeted at the same time she nervously asked, "What time is it?"

"Chill, Joy. It's just... 7:03." Sungjae answered after he located their digital clock.

"What??" Joy exclaimed, earning a glare from a disturbed sleepy Jennie, "Sorry, Jen." The brunette hurriedly apologized as she clambered down her bunk, making her way to the closet where Sungjae was standing, pulling out a black long sleeved button down. Joy slapped the raven haired's bare arm before opening her side of the closet.

"Why didn't you wake me up earlier?" Joy questioned between her gritted teeth, careful not to wake up Jennie, as she hurriedly pushed close the drawer of her underwear feeling a pair of brown orbs watching her.

"Well, I thought you were too sleepy to take the 7:30 to 4:30 shift given that we both slept at 2 in the morning, because I am." Sungjae reasoned while watching Joy close her closet door after picking up a blue with floral print wrap-around dress, "Also, you slept through your seven alarms so—" The older just raised both his arms in surrender when the brunette spun around and glared at him before closing the bathroom door behind her.

It wasn't true that Joy slept through her seven alarms. Sungjae had the brunette's phone at first alarm having woken up before 6 A.M. by his sister (who asked for allowance before she left, saying she forgot to withdraw). Knowing fully the six more alarms that would come, the raven haired silenced her phone before placing it back beside the sleeping brunette.

Besides, if only Joy would know (of course, Sungjae would not let her), that he did her a favor since the raven haired knew why his friend was still up at 2 in the morning.

Joy waited for him to come home.

--
190506