Summer Romance

A/N: This was 75% based on real-life. Cover photo credits to IG accnt: re_effevic.

--
It was the last month of my school vacation and I haven't done much on the previous month aside from nonstop revising our thesis. I vowed that I would dedicate the first month to thesis and then enjoy myself on the following month before entering the toxic graduating year. Well, by enjoying vacation actually meant catching up on the Korean drama I missed.

But none of that will happen now that my auntie from Seoul asked grandma if she could lend the guest room for her son and his friend for the whole month as they would be having their internship here in Jeju, to which Halmeoni gladly agreed to. Of course, it's her grandson too after all.

That night, Changsub oppa, my cousin came alone, saying his friend will follow tomorrow. He cooked the dinner for us with the ingredients he bought along the way. I couldn't believe he chose being an Engineer instead of taking culinary. He'd be a successful chef though.

Tomorrow came and I wake early than the usual (an unfortunate fate I would have to accept) to the sound of Halmeoni and Changsub oppa talking and laughing. I was eating the breakfast Changsub oppa cooked when he hurriedly left as he remembered that he have to pick up his friend at the airport.

It was past 10 in the morning when I heard the doorbell rang and walked out of the house just to see an unfamiliar yet the most beautiful face I have ever seen. His face began to lit as a smile began to form on his pinkish chapped lips sending weird feelings down to my stomach. I got back to my senses when Changsub oppa popped out beside him at the same time I opened the gate. I think he noticed the way I gawked at his friend but thank God he didn't say anything.

"Couz, this is Yook Sungjae. And this is Sooyoungie. Well, we call her Joyiah because she's always happy." This oppa doesn't really know when to shut his mouth. I glared at him to which he just widened his eyes acting all innocent. He spoke that caught my attention. His manly voice was well suited to his God-given looks.

"Thanks for letting us stay in your house."

"Aniyah. It was our Halmeoni's house so, you should be thanking her not me." So help me God. His smile would be the death of me.

If you must know, it was very awkward for my part to have someone like Yook Sungjae under the same roof with me. For the first week, I kept confiding at the comfort of my room and would only come out during breakfast, lunch and dinner. Since their internship has begun, I could breath from morning until dinner to where for the first time got so noisy with my cousin's and Sungjae's bullseye punchlines and hilarious jokes that never failed to make my Halmeoni tear up. Despite the exchange of stares and looks everytime Sungjae would crack a joke, I still felt awkward as that day I felt something weird always comes across my mind. Not to mention that I could always... always feel his eyes on me, confirmed everytime I look up to check. I don't want to assume things but my instinct wasn't cooperating well. I think Sungjae and I would have clicked so much as friends but me being awkward was a big hindrance.

Then, the inevitable day came. I knew I wouldn't be able to avoid being with Sungjae for long in the same part of the house except the dining room and the kitchen, but I never expected it to be this soon.

Friday night, Changsub oppa suggested that we watch the movies he downloaded back at his home and asked Halmeoni if her DVD player was still working, which unfortunately wasn't. So I offered my laptop since I was done catching up with K-dramas anyways, with a mindset that it could be a way for me to loose the awkwardness in my part.

We began settling at the living room, as well as Halmeoni who said she'll be watching a little before leaving us three. With Halmeoni sitting on the long couch while me and Changsub took the single couch, Sungjae who came from the comfort room, has no choice but to take the ottoman placed between me and Changsub. I don't know what fate has planned for me but yeah, this was far from coincidence especially when it happened the same thing the next night.