Stargazing

Your fall break doesn't start of that exciting. The weekend that it starts you stay at home rewatching New Girl. Lauren and Dani come over on Sunday to watch with you. It actually isn't as awkward as you thought it would be.

Whatever was going on between them must have been resolved, because the three of you hang out like you used to. You end up staying the night at their house that night, and wake up before anyone else.

You stumble down to the kitchen and see Katherine making breakfast.

She gives you a warm smile. "Good morning."

"Good morning." You sit at the breakfast bar. "What are you cooking?"

"Pancakes and bacon." She plops some butter onto the skillet, turning the heat up a bit and watching it melt. She quickly glances at you over her shoulder. "So, I ran into Riley at the store yesterday."

"Oh yeah?" You try to ignore the wave of panic. You didn't want your older brother near any of these girls.

"Yeah. He actually asked me out on a date tonight."

You stop breathing. "Really?"

Kath starts pouring the pancake mix onto the skillet. "I said yes, but I was hoping you could tell me what he's like? I haven't really talked to him much. Does he ask out a lot of girls?"

You can't remember the last time Riley dated anyone. It must have been years ago. "Honestly, Riley doesn't really date people."

"Hmm. Interesting."

Katherine starts softly humming, flipping the pancakes and checking on the bacon. You know that without a doubt you can't let her go on that date. But you can't exactly tell Katherine not to go without a good reason. As far as you know, Riley's violent tendencies have only been expressed on you, but you can't risk the chance that it might happen to someone else.

You hurry up the stairs to Lisa, Lauren, and Dani's room. They're all up now, but still sitting in their beds on their phones. You close the door behind you, the sound getting their attention.

"Hey, Y/N/N." Dani says.

Lauren narrows her eyes at you. "What's wrong?"

You take a second to steady your breathing. "Katherine has a date with Riley tonight."

"Fun." Lisa says.

You shake your head. "No. Not fun. Not even close. Listen to me, please. Katherine can't go. Please don't let her go." You've started shaking.

Lauren gets out of her bed and walks over to grab your hands. "Hey, calm down. What's going on? Why can't she go?"

You look over the three sisters. You have to tell them the truth without actually telling them. "This doesn't leave this room." You don't continue until they all nod. "Riley isn't a nice person. He's actually really mean and I've never seen him with a girlfriend. I have no idea how he would treat Katherine but I also know that it won't be good. He'll hurt her."

"Hurt her?" Dani gets out of bed now, walking to stand beside Lauren. "Hurt her how?"

Telling half the truth may be harder than you thought. "He's just mean, okay? He yells and he throws things. Trust me when I say he would be the worst thing to ever happen to Katherine."

Lisa nods. "Okay. We trust you. I mean, he is your brother, so if you think he would hurt her we'll get her not to go."

"How?"

Lisa shrugs. "No idea, but we'll figure it out."

You nod, letting out a sigh of relief. "Okay, good. It just... it can't get back to Riley that I told you this."