June 27, 2019

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Look," Mom interrupted before Rick could say anything back. "You're right, we should've consulted you guys first, but we have a right to happiness okay? And at the end of the day, our happiness is your happiness, and while you might not like it at first, I promise you this is the right decision. Both of our marriages with your dad and your mom were tough to say the least, and feelings were different. The way we feel about each other," She looked across the table adoringly at Rick. "Is like nothing we've ever felt before and will be very hard to break."

Was it convincing? Not really. Was arguing going to help? Probably not. Did I want to go upstairs and isolate myself from everyone? Yes. Was I hungry and did the chips look very appetizing? Hell yes to both.

"Mom," Jules said quietly. "Can I be a bridesmaid or do I have to be the flower girl?"

It was really hard to be upset when Jules' innocence and purity showed the silver lining of everything. She reminded me of Will and it made me smile. Maybe this was a sign from him, maybe it was the right decision.

Rick laughed. "You could be the priest for all we cared!"

I smiled as I took a chip from the bowl. I definitely had a soft spot for Jules and I wasn't ashamed one bit. That kid is going places.

"Ok," Mom laughed. "Wedding details later. We still have one final thing to discuss. We're going on vacation!"

"Please tell me it's somewhere tropical." April begged, her attention piqued.

"Well, you kids might not know that I own a house in Malibu-"

April stood up and started squealing like a motherfucking dolphin. "Oh my god Leo DiCaprio has a house there!"

Rick chuckled. "Yes we have had quite a few celebrity sightings since buying the house and every year really is a treat. So this year we would like to take our first official family vacation to Malibu."

"When are we going?! What do I pack?! How many pairs of shoes do I need?!" April said in what seemed like one breath.

"We leave July second," Mom answered. "That's coming up quick but we can accomplish everything we need to before we leave in that time."

I shrugged. "I guess a week in Malibu couldn't be terrible."

"Actually," Rick said. "We will be gone for three weeks."

My heart dropped into my dick. "What?"

"Well," Mom started. "We really wanted to have a nice family vacation and also use it as a time to bond, and you can't do that in a week. We figured since Rick owns the house anyway and he has clients in Malibu, that three weeks is very doable and enjoyable. I know that's a long time but-"

"Mom, ten days is doable and enjoyable. Three weeks? That's a third of the summer! That's three weeks away from my friends and lacrosse and Alina."

Fuck, Alina.

How was I supposed to go without seeing Alina for three weeks? We were on shaky ground as it was, three weeks would completely demolish our relationship. Besides that, I would miss her like crazy. Sometimes going four days without seeing her face is painful, imagining that times five? No, I wasn't doing this. It wasn't worth it.

"I'm not going." I said, crossing my arms.

"Yes, you are." Mom said, raising her eyebrow at me. "It's vacation, Grant, it's better than sitting here wasting your summer away playing video games. Besides, three weeks is going to be over before you know it and you'll want to go back. You always talk about how much you hate the weather here, it doesn't rain in Malibu! It's all sun all the time."

"I don't care about any of that, mom! I'll go for a week then come home and stay with dad and you guys can enjoy the rest of vacation, I'm not going."

"I'm sorry, bud, but the tickets are already bought." Rick said.

I looked desperately at my mom, hoping maybe there was somehow she could get me out of this. "You can't make me do this come on, this is my last high school summer. Jules had summer camps planned, April is going to Europe with dad, you can't miss three weeks of work. See how stupid this is?"

"The decision is final, Grant, I'm sorry." She said quietly, glancing over at Rick.

I snapped my head towards him. "You fucking bastard! First you take our mother without even consulting us first, now you take us away from everything we know to try to make us your kids or something. It's not fucking happening and if you think I'll ever approve of you with my mom, you're wrong." I said with clenched teeth before storming upstairs.

I couldn't go away for three weeks, I just couldn't. They would have to knock me out and shove me in a suitcase if they wanted to get me anywhere near the border of Washington, and even then I would put up a fight. I couldn't let Rick do this to me. I couldn't let him uproot everything.

I couldn't leave Alina.

-Grant