April 30, 2019

Dear Future Husband,

GUESS WHO'S GOING TO PROMMMMM?!?!

ME!

I'M GOING TO PROM!

AS A SOPHOMORE!

Today Grant and I both had a game at five so we figured we might as well go out to eat somewhere to fuel up. He usually met me at my locker and then we walked out to his car together, but today he texted me and said he was waiting at his car so I just went out alone.

Kendra found me as I was walking out and said she would come with me. She seemed overly excited about something, I assumed she was still reeling from her promposal last Friday which kind of annoyed me. We get it, you got asked, good for you but it's been three days, chill out.

I would never tell anyone this except you, but I was really jealous of her, and mad at her, and mad at Grant a little bit. That was supposed to be me, you know? It's just aggravating. Obviously I don't feel that way anymore, but just for the record.

We made it to Grant's car and when I got there I was surprised to find Matt, Brandon, and a few of his other friends as well as some of mine kind of gathered around, even though I didn't see Grant.

"What's going on?" I asked Kendra, kind of worried. I thought he got hit by a car or something.

"She's here." Brandon coughed, not so subtlety.

"Shit." I recognized Grant hiss from behind his car.

I saw a balloon float into the air followed by a few muttered curses. A few people started to laugh and I was still really confused at what was going on.

I'll admit, at first I thought he might be promposing but quickly pushed it out of my mind because he had already made it very clear that he did not want to go to prom. I didn't really know what was happening.

"Need some help?" Brandon asked before disappearing behind the car with him. A few moments later they both came out, Brandon holding a poster and Grant holding little Romeo.

Yes, Romeo. Pet store Romeo.

He had a balloon tied around a loop on his collar and was asleep in Grant's arms like nothing was going on.

"Say the fucking line, Black." Brandon hissed.

"Oh yeah, um," Grant said, adjusting Romeo in his arms. "Will you be the Juliet to my Romeo for prom?" He said, laughing a little at himself. "It would've been cooler if he barked after I said that but I guess the ride from the pet store was a little tiring for him."

I was speechless. I honestly didn't know what to say or what to be more excited about, the dog or the fact that Grant was actually asking me to prom.

"So is that a yes or..." Grant said, pushing the balloon out of his face that kept bobbing against his head.

I ran over and threw my arms around him, careful not to disturb the sleeping puppy.

"Is that even a question?!" I said, bouncing on my heels.

"I don't know," He laughed. "I thought you might try to take the dog."

I pulled away from him and looked down at Romeo who had started to wake up. "Oh my god, wait is he for me?"

"No he's for Kendra," Grant rolled his eyes, smiling. "Yes, he's for you."

"Grant, my parents would never say yes."

He smiled, putting the puppy in my arms. "I already asked them and they said as long as you pick up his shit and walk him, then you can keep him."

I threw my free arm around his neck squeezing him as hard as I could, careful not to drop Romeo. I don't think I would've pulled away if the little guy hadn't started barking.

I'm starting to think the whole "I don't want to go to prom" thing was all a ruse just to get me even more hyped for when he did ask me. Even if it wasn't, I'm just going to tell myself that because it looks better on paper. Besides, it doesn't really matter, the only thing that matters is that I'm going to prom with the greatest guy in the world.

You should've heard Kendra! We all decided to go to Chipotle since we were all congregated by our cars anyway and as we were walking in I heard her say to Matt "Flowers and chocolate? That's all you could do? Grant got her a puppy for Chrissake."

My promposal is the only thing everyone has been talking about since it happened. Guys who haven't promposed are freaking out trying to think of ways to top it and girls are freaking out wondering if their dates will be as awesome as Grant. Suddenly I had become the girl everyone envied, from being just another tenth grader to the girl that got asked to prom by a hot junior with a puppy. It was all so surreal.

On top of all of that, I have a puppy! I didn't think my heart would be able to go on without him and now it doesn't have to. As I write to you he is licking my arm and is in desperate need of a little walk around the block so I'm going to go, but just know that you don't have to get me a puppy to make me happy. I would be just as happy if you gave me a box of dog poop to be honest.

As long as I'm with you, I am the luckiest girl in the world.

Xoxo, Alina