Chapter Two

I gritted my teeth, gesturing him to come over to me, to safety once again. He looked at me, his eyes filled with sorrow as he lowered his head, staring at the broken concrete underneath him. As he fell to his knees in defeat, his hands shaking as they weakly attempted to hold him up, he shook his head slowly, as if there was no hope left in the world.

Without even caring that the helicopters could see me, I rushed over to him, raising my hand to put it on his shoulder in a feeble attempt to comfort him.

"It's over, Chris. They've won. There is no hope left. I'm sorry." He said, his broken voice barely projecting far enough for me to hear it. Silently letting out a deep breath I carefully touched his cheek, making him look up to me.

"There's always hope Alan. You just have to believe in it. Never give up, try it, okay? Fynn wouldn't be too happy to know that his best friend gave up. And this isn't you Alan. You always fought for that you believed is right." I quietly muttered, grabbing his hand with my other one.

Alan's eyes darkened at the mention of Fynn's name and he abruptly pulled his hand out of my grip. "Stop using Fynn as a way to manipulate me, Chris! You do it all the time, try to get your way, just so I will agree because you think that I'll then think that because Fynn is somehow involved, it's a good decision!"

His voice lashed out at me like flames in a furnace, burning my arms as I stood in front of him, shocked. "A.. Alan th.. that's not what I meant to say with that!" I stammered, stumbling back out of the shadows, the hot sun immediately warming up my black hoodie.

He got up, his hands clenched into fists and his eyes almost shooting lightning at me. "So? What was your plan then? My family is dying in Norway right now because we are under fucking attack and I'm stuck here and can't do anything!" He yelled in anger, even though a slight note of despair was echoing in his voice as he stepped closer to me, still hidden under the ledge.

"Alan, please. Just come back inside and we can discuss what we can do. I promise we will find out as much as we can about what's happened at each centre as quickly as possible." I said, begging Alan hopelessly to think reasonably.

His eyes flashed in anger. "We don't have the time to find out what happened, Chris! We are under attack and people are dying! Do we really need to know more to fucking get over there and do something?!" He growled angrily, still coming closer, pushing me dangerously near to the edge.

I raised my hands in defence, glaring up to him. "I.. I can understand you are worried Alan but.." He didn't even let me finish the sentence, he cut me right off.

"No! You don't understand anything! I still have a family! Yours believes you're dead!"

My eyes widened, his words hurting me like daggers.

I still have family. You just don't know.

A weird, burning hot sensation ran up my spine, causing me to clench my hands into fists, a flashback flashing by my sight. The wide place in Stuttgart. I felt the same back then. Knowing what would happen, I allowed it to take over.

Alan was shoved back by my hands pushing him with a power I never could have, his eyes widening as his back hit the concrete wall, a destroyed picture frame bursting at the impact.

"Do you really think your anger and fear of your family would help our Walkers in Norway now Alan?!" I heard myself screaming angrily, my voice way deeper than usual. A voice I heard many times, but somehow never really heard it.

Coming closer, I watched Alan's expression turning from anger and surprise to fear, recognition and sorrow, obviously because he recognised the voice as well.