1

O N E

dedicated to @mantha_kim because your comment made me laugh sincerely, something I haven't done in a while.

"Being an adult, does it mean to smile even when I'm sad?"

 – Kim Na Young (김나영); 

Being an adult (어른이 된다는게)

⋆⋆⋆

THE candle was blown out.

"Happy birthday!" 

Ryu beamed at all the smiling, young faces surrounding her. She was an English teacher in the high school she used to study at, with Mina.

Today, she turned 24. She graduated Y university as a dance major 2 years ago, at 22, and had immediately gotten offered a job at this high school. It was a different thing from her major, and she had only gotten an offer because her teacher who used to teach her remembered she was excellent in the English subject.

It wasn't a dance position like she had hoped. She wasn't doing what she thought she would be doing, but it was difficult to get a job in today's society.

So, she accepted.

Every year on her birthday, her students chipped in to buy her a birthday cake, sang her a song and every year, she felt blessed to see their smiles.

But was she really happy?

When school let out, the students went back home and she was alone again.

Ryu would sneak into the school's dance studio, and practice dancing most nights. Today, all she did was stare into the mirror.

This year, she's 24. Next year, 25. And the next, 26. 27. 30. 40. 60.

Time was flying by, fast. 

Her reflection looked haggard; there were dark bags under her bloodshot eyes. Her neat bun had come loose, and her work blazer was now wrinkled after a long, exhausting day at work.

Ryu sighed, as she got a call from an unknown number. She picked up and the video option popped up. 

"Hello?"

A familiar, handsome face appeared on the other side of the screen.

"Happy birthday, Ryu."

Seungcheol was holding one slice of cake with one lit candle on it, with an expectant smile. Instead of smiling back, Ryu stared at Seungcheol's face.

Still handsome. Still beautiful. No bags under his eyes. Red lips. Brown, neat hair. 

And his beautiful smile.