29- oBjeCtiOn!

ohhHH crap.

We going full on judge-with-jury on this.

I was jittery as Mom drove my brother and I to the court. There was an ice-cream shop we passed on the way, and I didn't even ask if we could go get some.

In short, I was high-key nervous.

When we arrived, we had to get a few legal forms filled out, mentioning how we want to set my kidnappers free. 

And then it was time to go to court. 

I was seated in the front row, in the middle of Alex and Mom. There were a few important people sitting behind us at the council tables, ready for the show, I guess. Members of the police were lined up on each side of the room. The judge, with his glassy glasses (lol) and short dark mustache was seated behind the bench. There were two wooden cage-like boxes for a member of each party to stand in, I guess.

Look at me, knowing all the technical terms for this place.

Sarcasm. That was sarcasm.

Did I mention how my knee would just NOT stop bouncing up and down? I had to freaking PLACE MY HAND on it to stop it. Even Alex looked at my knee, my hand, and then me, giving me the 'wtf' look.

;-;

Hushed murmurs were circling around the courtroom. Mom was silently waiting, like a patient angel.

"Thanks, Mom." I blurted. 

She was snapped out of her silent trance and turned her head to look at me. "For what, honey?"

"For-" I hesitated. "I guess for being so patient with everything. It's not a general thing for a mother of a girl to be sitting in a courtroom to be fighting for the freedom of her daughter's kidnappers. Thank you for believing me when I say they're innocent."

Her eyes widened. "Who are you and WHAT have you done to Rachel??"

Alex burst out laughing. I furrowed my eyebrows. We were having a sERiOUS moment h e r e .

"What?" I asked.

"I've just- I've never seen you talk so politely like a normal teenage girl." He snorted.

I glared at him and thwacked his arm.

Mom chuckled as well. "Rachel, honey, you don't have to say thank you. I mean, it did take me a while to agree to help you in freeing your friends. I had to think about it a lot. I figured that they couldn't have been harmful if there was not a single scratch on you AND they dealt with your hourly pestering for ice-cream-"

"hEY!" I objected. 

She laughed. "But, in all honestly, it was Alex who convinced me to help you. He told me you looked heartbroken when you saw them getting arrested."

I was shookETH. I looked at my buffoon of a brother, who was smiling sheepishly at me.

"What? Can't a handsome young kind adoring charming beautiful to-die-for smart young man help his baby sister out?" He grinned.

I thwacked his arm again. But this time, there was a funny grin on my face.

"Thanks, bRo."

My knee had stopped bouncing. The tension in the air was gone. Everything was going to be okay.

Suddenly, everyone went silent. The judge was lightly tapping his desk with that huge hammer.

"I would like to initiate this trial now. As we all know, the five kidnappers of Rachel Waters were arrested two days ago. This month-long kidnapping had made national headlines. The criminals were going to be given a life-long sentence, not only for the kidnapping, but also because of their notorious 'most dangerous gang of the country' title. The punishment was going to go through until an interruption was made. The very victim of this kidnapping, Rachel Waters, and her family, have decided to try and prove this group of people's innocence-"