Chapter Two

Ace's unnatural ice blue eyes looked into the mirror at herself. Or whoever it was in her reflection. Although Ace made it seem like she's very knowledgeable about herself and who she is, she really doesn't know anything about herself. Even years later, she still doesn't know who she is or where she belongs.

   Ace was feeling a little queasy after the cute little show that she had given Steve last night. Did he tell the others? Was he scared of her now? She shook her head in an attempt to shake the thoughts away.

You're not scary.

  She nodded to herself in the mirror and left her room to go meet Steve.

  "First we're gonna do a quick strength test. This has to be just you. Leave out the ice. Just you and what you can do." Cap showed Ace a room with workout equipment that you would never imagine even existed. There were machines for every muscle in your body, probably.

"Alright, Cap. What do you want me to do first?"

"First is upper body strength. Biceps." He directed her to a pull up bar. Ace glanced at him in boredom.

"You know, this really isn't fair because you're like superhuman and so you just always have insane strength levels, you can't turn yours off." She pouted, fakely.

"Please just do some pull ups." Steve smiled slightly, but bored.

"This is bull shit." Ace turned to face Steve.

"I'm just doing what I've been ordered to do."

"Ordered? This isn't the military, Steve."

"I...I know that. Please just do it." Steve sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose.

Ace turned to face the bar again. She noted that she had struck a nerve with Steve, just in case she ever needed that information. Ace shook her body out and placed her hands on the metal pull up bar. She started doing pull ups like she was "ordered."

One...Two...Three...Four...

Ace could feel the bar getting cold under her fingertips. She squeezed her eyes shut.

Dont. Don't do it. I swear to God you inner little dragon, don't you dare.

Just then, the metal froze, turning so cold and brittle that it shattered into bits and Ace was thrown onto the ground.

  Her dragon was excited, and it was showing. It was ready to show itself. But Ace wasn't ready to show it.

"Well, shit." She mumbled sitting up.

"Are you alright?" Steve asked, walking up to her.

Ace sighed, "I'm fine." She rejected his outstretched hand and stood up. "I can try again," she suggested.

"No. There's no need. I'm just going to-screw it." Cap let out a small cough at the end of the sentence as if those words were hard to say.

"I have a feeling you don't say "screw it" very often. Is that what you guys do? Just wait around for orders?" Ace asked as Steve led her out of the room with the muscle machines.

"Well...yea. I mean- we're here to defend earth from the things that are beyond our world. Things that regular citizens wouldn't be able to fight. We fight the battles that they can't."

"You're here to defend earth from people like me." Ace sighed.

"Well, no. I know you have it in your head that you're the only one like you, but we're all like you, really. We're all dangerous, we just choose to fight the harder battles." He sighed a slightly.