Promise

Set after Second Face
______________________________________

"If you can influence others to do whatever you say, why didn't you use it when you were facing against Mukuro."

Tsuna paused his game and turned to look at his tutor. "Why are you asking me this now instead of a week ago when I revealed my mask?" he asked in return.

"Do I even need a reason, Dame-Tsuna?" Reborn raised an eyebrow at him.

The teen stared at him for a few moments before he conceded. "True. It's not like there's a time period on when you can ask about it or something," he shrugged before continuing his game.

"So? Care to tell me why?" Reborn asked again.

Tsuna gave another shrug. "I guess it's because I was raised as a Guardian?" he said uncertainly before he paused his game and turned around again. "I mean, sure I know my real mask is a King but mom had always raised me like as if I'm a Guardian instead of, you know..." he fumbled for a bit, "a King. I'm not really sure about her real reasons but she always tells me that a King must first and foremost be a Guardian. I guess that lesson kinda stuck so I never really relied much on my mask you know?"

"Your mother is a wise and intelligent woman. Unlike you." Reborn quipped as he continued cleaning his guns.

Tsuna beamed at the compliment Reborn had made about Nana. "Yeah, she really is the best mom anyone could ask for," he smiled before continuing his game. A few seconds later, he let out a gasp and looked at the hitman. "Wait, did you just call me an idiot?!"

"I dunno. Did I?"

Tsuna gave him an incredulous stare before he jumped in surprise at the loud noise coming from his game. "Ah! I just died! Now I have to start over!" he lamented.

Reborn merely ignored his student's wail of anguish as he cleaned his guns, Leon sleeping peacefully on the brim of his fedora.

Later that night, Reborn found himself sitting at the dining table with Nana, coffee in one hand and a cookie in the other.

"I'm sure you'll find him a bit clumsy when it comes to handling his power," Nana commented after awhile, "but I have complete faith in you to teach him how to properly master it." she smiled serenely, her eyes glinting with a knowing look.

Reborn smiled, amused at her subtle use of pointing out his mask - a Master mask -, once again reminded by how Caretakers can be such a force to reckon with, especially a Caretaker who possess the will of the Fox.

"Rest assured, maman. I'll make sure he'll become someone worthy of his Role and watch over him," he promised, and Reborn knew this is one of the promises where he would definitely keep until he dies.