Chapter 54

Ron's POV

When Malfoy and Hermione come walking in, I can't help but have a pang of jealousy. I really want to tell her. Then she won't have to end up with that ferret. But what if she still chooses him in the end? I will have had basically ruined our friendship. She and Malfoy are giggling over by the kitchen and it's quite distracting. At least for me it is. I wish Hermione would understand that she's all I think about. I know I should be listening to Harry and Ginny talking, but I just feel like zoning out tonight. I sprawl out on my recliner. Maybe I can take a nap and when I wake up, Hermione will be mine again.

Turns out, I did eventually fall asleep. And I woke up on the recliner just as I had fallen asleep on it. I look around. Harry seems to be peacefully sleeping. Same with Ginny. Malfoy is on the couch. So Hermione must be on watch. I quietly roll off the recliner and tip toe outside. Sure enough, Hermione is sitting right outside the tent. She's looking up at the sky, studying the stars, I bet. She doesn't hear me at first, but when I drop down to sit next to her, she whips her head around, wand ready. My hands quickly fly up in surrender but Hermione lowers it when she sees it me.

"Sorry," she says, laughing it off. "Didn't hear you coming..." I laugh.

"Yeah, I did kind of sneak up on you. Anything suspicious?" I ask. She shakes her head. We sit in silence, watching the woods and sky.

"What if... what if they catch one of us again?" Hermione asks, breaking the silence. I shrug.

"Depends who it is. Malfoy, I'd say leave him," I reply. Hermione shoots me a sharp look. I mumble an apology and she looks away. I can tell she's still annoyed.

I open my mouth but shut it many times before I actually have the guts to start speaking.

"'Mione... I've... got... something to tell you..." I say, extremely nervous. She turns to look at me. That's the thing about Hermione. Even when she's mad at you, she'll still take the time and effort to look at you when you talk. Unfortunately for me, I think it would be easier to talk without her watching me.

"Uh, well, you know, um, that note Ginny told you about that, uh, made you break up with me?" I ask. Hermione narrows her eyes.

"Yes," she says and waiting patiently for my next words. I take a deep breath.

"Well, um, that -" and I'm cut off with Malfoy bursting out of the tent.

"Ginny just threw up!" he exclaims. Hermione jumps up and follows Malfoy back in the tent. I sit there for a minute. I could've just spat it out faster and she could've dumped that nasty ferret! I try not to think of the other option she could've chosen as I walk into the tent.