Prologue

Aoi had never signed up for this war. He felt no spite though, too bent on his own cause. He had someone he was here to take the place of and so he was here by his own merit.

This war felt like a waste to many now, none of heaven seeming to be able to remember its beginning. Rumors of Gabriel knowing were popular but like Michael and all the older archangels, they would never comment on the subject. They had once or twice been heard saying Lucifer was at fault but no one could say how that was so exactly.

Despite the unknown start of it, the war persisted and it took countless victims from both sides. Many demons fell after exhaustion caught them, and countless angel children were falling as well. Like the nearly sick, sheet pale silverette child crumpling to the floor after a blow to his gut.

He wasn't surprised to find the dirt coming up to meet his face, but it caught him off guard with how soon it had happened. He wasn't surprised to see his line retreating and leaving him in the mud for the demons soon afterwards. His head was throbbing and his whole body ached as he laid there, ready to accept his fate and awaiting death.

Smoke rolled over like fog, likely to obscure an angel's view from above, and it only made the one on the ground's head spin with dizziness. The world around him seemed to fade in and out.

"Hey! Check this! The bird's still breathing!" A voice called above him. The piercing sound hurt his head.

"Is it? Ayye it is! Let's make it a gift for the commander~" Another voice responded to the first. He just wanted them to shut up.

Suddenly the warmth the ground offered him was leaving, and he felt himself being hauled upwards. The demons were carrying Aoi. The angel gave up on it all and closed his ice blue eyes, hoping to meet death while asleep. The demons talked over him as the noise and everything else gave away to blackness.