Chapter 3: May 25-Plans

Mary, Peter, Riley, and Heidi were in for a journey of no other, and they were going to need a plan to survive on the island before thoughts of rescue could be established.

                                                             ~Constance

The smell of a fire woke Riley and he noticed that the group was already awake. He stepped out of the tent and saw all three of them around a fire eating leftover berries and nuts from that night. They all looked like they had a terrible nights sleep, with circles around their eyes and gloomy like expressions. Now Mary and Peter looked like Heidi on a regular basis.

Heidi was a constant thought in his mind. Growing up they had just been mere friends, but now that Riley was older, he could not find the courage to ask for her hand in marriage. He was only scared, not for himself, but for Heidi’s sake. Her father made it clear to disown her if she married anyone below the title of lord. He could not do that to Heidi, so he was willing to stay unmarried for the rest of his life. It was a hard decision, but he could not marry another when his feelings were still with Heidi. He had battled the decision for as long as he could remember which was the day he discovered his more than friendly affection for her

Not knowing it, but Riley was staring at Heidi and did not notice it until she smiled at him with her light-warming glow. He gave a blush and quickly turned to Mary and Peter. Peter rolled his eyes, and Mary jabbed Peter’s side giving him her Peter-what-is-wrong-with-you stare. The two both knew of his struggle and knew that Heidi meant a lot to him.

Riley sat next to Heidi and reached into his satchel, “Now, I need you to take this medicine that the doctor prescribed for you.” He held a small glass bottle and poured the amount of liquid into the little spoon. In an act of stubbornness, Heidi crossed her arms and turned her head. He knew that look too well.

“I will not take that foul medicine that those snobby doctors tell me to take. I don’t care if it is supposed to help me or not. It hasn’t worked so far, and it’s not going to work now.” Not wanting to get involved, Peter and Mary turned around on the log to face the other direction in a not so discreet manner.

“You have to take the medicine. I’m a doctor, and I’m telling you this medicine will help.” He tried to ignore the two's false effort to start up a conversation of their own while facing out towards the pulling/pushing ocean.

     Riley was tired. Tired from their long night, tired from the hardship of being stranded, and tired of Heidi complaining about her medicine. He and another doctor aboard the Florence had to force the medicine down her throat. Riley looked to see if Mary and Peter would help but their backs faced toward him were proof enough that they stood neutral on this fight. Peter might have been whistling not so subtly if Riley were paying close attention.

“You know what? Maybe I don’t like doctors or believe in their medicines. Huh! What do you think of that?” Heidi yelled at Riley as she stood up.

“I think you don’t know what you’re talking about!” Riley stood up too to challenge her.

“Maybe I don’t, but I would like you to just leave me alone! Can you at least try that instead of this...this garbage?”

“Fine, I will!” The two sat back in silence, still fuming over each other.

Riley was the first to say something: “Heidi, I’m sorry. I just got mad at you for questioning me. I have to be more careful of how I react to things.”

Heidi faced him, “And I’m sorry too, for yelling like that. I know you’re just trying to do what you can for me.” She gave a loud, hoarse cough that made all the friends cringe (by now Mary and Peter had turned back around and were grinning like they had solved the dispute single handidly).

“You have no idea how much your help has made this easier.” Riley sarcastically praised Mary and Peter's “efforts” (if they could even be considered efforts).

Heidi looked up at him and mustered a smile. The two huddled in a huge hug and all was forgiven. Riley was given his share of the leftovers, and they soon all fell into a deep conversation.

“I’m not so sure if anyone is going to find us out here.” Mary exclaimed her voice showing the thought in her words. The defeat was evident. “There is no land in sight.” The hope that was inside all of them burned out like a candle. Lord willing they were able to survive the night—but what about other nights

“Well we can’t just sit here and mope about. We need to devise a plan to survive on this deserted island.” Heidi was a true leader from the start and quickly enraptured them with her idea. It was their only hope that God had given her this idea in her dream last night. And that her plan would work and they could survive.

“I think we should explore the island. See what’s to be found.”

Heidi continued, “What I think we should do is try to find shelter, good drinking water, and a supply of food, than we can explore the island.”

The friends nodded with approval. Ideas tumbled through their minds, keeping the eminent thought of their abandonment on the deserted island in the back of their minds, allowing their survival instincts that God gave them to kick in.

“We should travel in groups of two.” Heidi smiled as Mary immediately took charge with her motivation. “Peter, you will come with me. Riley, you go with Heidi and map the perimeter of the island. Use this piece of paper to map out the surrounding area. Peter and I will cover the inside of the island.” Each group had a piece of paper and lead.

Heidi stomped out the fire with her shoe and then headed out with Riley. They had no belongings to carry with them since all their trunks had sunk with the ship. Food would be found on their journey as they traveled around the island, water was stored in the canteens when a source was found, and he and Peter were armed with Swiss Army knives. God was their only source of security and survival.