The visit from a stranger that changes everything

Start from the beginning

"Hello Tracy." the man spoke, a deep tone to his voice.

"hmm. Kaileb." she nodded, "Come inside."

"Thanks." he said, stepping in from the rain which was pattering the driveway and the roof of his car outside.

"How's life treating you?" She asked.

"Well and how is life treating you? Still not talking to Nicole I assume."

"That's none of your business Kaileb."

Just then, the two boys were standing at the top of the stairs to see who was at the door.

"I know that man." Kaileb whispered to Jarry, eavesdropping on the conversation his mother was having. "He's an old friend of the family. Before I was born."

"How do you know?" Jarryd whispered in response.

"Mum showed me a photograph a while ago, telling me he was gay." he said.

"Why would she do that?"

"It doesn't matter."

Jarryd looked directly at him, nodded and continued to listen to the two adults, who had now moved into the dining room at the end of the house. The boys followed silently, moving into the living room and sat curled up on the couch listening to the conversation which followed next door.

"I asked you a question Tracy." Kaileb spoke.

"And I answered it."

"Have you at least told the boys?"

Tracy looked down at her hands, twiddling her fingers.

"That's a no then." He said bluntly.

"How could I tell them? They'd hate me now. They're too old to understand it now."

"Too old to understand? Do you have any idea how stupid that sounds Tracy?"

"You tell them then. See how well it goes."

""You're looking for an easy way out Tracy."

The two boys sat in the other room confused, their minds boggling what on earth the adults were talking about just metres away.

"It's not easy Kaileb."

"I know Tracy but it should have been done when they were kids."

Kane and Jarryd looked at each other directly as if to say, are they talking about us?

"It's not too late Tracy, tell them. Today. Or I will."

"You can't do that."

"You were happy for me to do it just now."

The boys tiptoed their way out of the living room and up the stairs again to talk.

"Do you think that was about us?"

"Of course! Why else would they make it so secretive?" Jarryd said, raising an eyebrow.

"What do you think she's been keeping?"

"I don't know but my bet is my mum knows too. Otherwise he wouldn't have mentioned her."

"But what would they have been keeping from us?" Kane wondered aloud.

Just then Tracy called the two boys downstairs, opened up her phone and called Nicole.

"What's up mum?" Kane asked, she hushed him while the phone rang, as Nicole answered on the other end Tracy spoke up.

"It's time to come clean, I need you here now, the boys are here and so is Kaileb."

"What?" Nicole said in shock over the phone.