1st Tear

Author's Note:

Like most of you on this site, I love to write/read stories. But just because I love writing them doesn't mean I'm good at it. This is my first story I'm uploading (but not the first I have written...or rather started, if you know what I mean.) I hope this turns out to be a story that people will enjoy. So if you like it: Great! Leave a comment and keep up with the story. If you don't: Just move on. I'm not posting for critics. I'm posting for enjoyment. That means, please don't leave me any nasty comments about how lame or predictable the story is. Like I said, just cuz I love writing stories, doesn't mean I'm good at it. Anyway, hope you enjoy it. Oh yeah, I'm not very detailed in this first chapter but I'll try to be in upcoming ones.

~Kakilali

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Darkness surrounded her. She could hear the sound of a machine in sync with her heartbeat. The feel of cold air gently touched her skin.

She gathered the strength to open her eyes to see for herself where she was. Her eyes felt heavy as she struggled to open them. Her vision was blurry when she first opened her eyes and it took awhile, but she was finally able to see clearly. She looked around the room.

There were machines and wires surrounding her and some were even attached to her arm. Flowers were placed on the table in the corner of the room. The TV overhead was on and set on a news channel. She looked to left of her bedside to see a woman with her head lying on the bed. She seemed to be asleep and her face showed signs of many tears. She realized that the woman was holding her hand tightly. She moved her hand ever so slightly but that was enough to wake the woman from her sleep.

She opened her eyes and lifted her head. She looked around the room, the way people do when they first wake up, before looking at her. The look on her face showed relief and joy.

"Oh God," the woman said, hugging her. "Thank you. Thank you for bringing my baby back to me." She kissed her on the forehead. "Ariella, sweety, how are you feeling?"

Ariella, she thought. Right. My name is Ariella. And she is my mom. Fragments of her memory started to come back to her.

"I'm fine, Mom," said Ariella. "Am I in the hospital?"

"Yes, you are."

"For what?"

"You don't remember?" Ariella shook her head and her mother had a worried look. "You were in a terrible accident. You were hit by a car head on and lost a lot of blood. It's a miracle you're still alive, but you were in a comma for three days."

Just then the nurse walked in. "Oh good!" said the nurse. "She's awake! I'll go get the doctor right away to check on her." She walked out and a few minutes later she returned with the doctor.

"Hello, Ariella," said the doctor, "how are you feeling? Anything hurt?" He examined the machines that were attached to her.

"Good. I guess," she replied. "My head hurts though."

"Well that was a pretty nasty accident you were in. You can count yourself lucky to be alive. Now, let's take a look at you."

He flashed a light between her eyes and listened to her heartbeat. He wrote down a few things then asked her a few questions. She answered them to the best of her memory. The doctor told the nurse to grab the x-rays. When she returned he put them up for all of them to see.

"See here, Ariella, this is your brain." He pointed to the black and luminous white images. "You have some brain damage from the accident and the place that was damaged is where your memories are-"

"So does that mean she won't be able to remember?" interrupted her mother.

"The damage isn't too bad. She'll regain her memories, but it will take some time before she does. Everything else is good and she'll be able to go home tomorrow. Just make sure to keep in touch and let me know how she's doing from time to time."

The next day Ariella was able to leave the hospital. As her mother drove them home, she stared out at the scenery that was swiftly moving past her. Images started coming to her and she was starting to regain her memory.

After a half-hour of driving, her mother pulled into a driveway in a small neighborhood. Memories began flooding back. It was her home, the home she had been living in since she was nine. The house was a descent size. It was two stories high with a small porch in the front and painted white with dark bluish gray roofing.

Ariella stepped into the front door and took a look around. The first thing she saw was the living room. To the right of it were the dining room and a doorway leading to the kitchen. Across the living room was a staircase leading to the second floor. She climbed the stairs and headed toward her room.

She passed a room with the door slightly open. She peeked inside to see whom the room belonged to. There were lots of posters hung on the walls of bands and a guitar in the corner of room. Clothes were scattered over the floor and hanging from the drawers. The bed was a mess too. It looked like the room belonged to a teenaged boy.

That's right. I have an older brother, Jason.

She continued down the hall to her room. She opened the door and took a look at it. Her room was much cleaner than Jason's. It was pretty simple for a sixteen-year-old's room. The walls were painted with a light lavender color and pictures were hung all around. There were even some pictures in frames on her desk and dressers. They contained captured images of her friends and family and even some random but interest objects. Looking at those pictures helped gain back a lot of memories.

She remembered she had two best friends, Janelle and Rosalyn, whom she'd befriended in the second grade. She remembered that she had a brother who was two years older than her and whom Janelle secretly had a crush on but wouldn't admit. She even remembered her dad, who died three years ago. Tears filled her eyes at the memories of him.

She wiped away the tears and continued to look around. Out of the corner of her eye she saw ripped pictures on her desk. She picked them up and examined them closely. They all had her in them but they were in half, like she tore something, or someone, away.

"I wonder why I did this..." she mumbled to herself. Just then there was a knock on her door. It was Jason.

"Hey, sis," he said with a big smile. "It's great to have you back!" He ran over and gave her a tight hug.

Ariella smiled. "Can't breathe! You're gonna send me to the hospital again."

He let go. "Not a chance. I'm making sure you're not going back to that place again." He glanced at the torn pictures in her hand. His face showed some concern, even anger, but he shook it off. "So what's the damage? The doctors said it's a miracle you survived and you don't even have a scratch on you."

"He said I have some brain damage. It's minor though and it'll take some time to get all my memories back, but it'll come."

"It might be good not to remember everything..." he whispered under his breath.

"Hmm? Did you say something?"

"Nothing. But Mom wants you down soon. She's throwing a mini welcome home party. Just the three of us."

Ariella nodded and Jason left. She took another look at the torn pictures. She couldn't seem to remember why she had done that, but she figured she'd remember eventually. So she set them back down on her desk and headed downstairs.