Return to the Turnabout, Part 4

Start from the beginning

"You don't need to be so harsh with me. I know how court works," Mr. Barr grumbled with a roll of his eyes. He already wasn't turning out to be very likeable. And here I thought it couldn't get more obvious that he had something to do with the crime...

"If you really know so much about court, then go on and tell us about what you saw the day of the crime. How about that?" Prosecutor Lin asked, a friendly smile on her face. I had no idea how she could possibly be so excited in this situation. We had a potential murderer on our hands, and yet she could still manage to keep smiling.

"Maybe I will," Mr. Barr scoffed. "You don't need to get snarky with me."

"Before we start the testimony, I want to know what you were doing at the crime scene to begin with," Mr. Morix frowned. "You said you were unemployed, so why were you there?"

"The teacher leading the graduation ceremony asked me to help out with the setup. We're old friends, you see," Mr. Barr explained. "I was helping to put the decorations in the right place and all that."

"I see... Alright. I understand. Please, go on and testify about what you did in the gymnasium shortly after the murder," Mr. Morix instructed. "Any information you can give us about the basketball goal would be much appreciated."

"Alright, alright, I'm on it," Mr. Barr nodded.

~ Witness Testimony ~

~ My Time in the Gymnasium ~

--"I was called to the school to help with setting up the graduation, as I already mentioned."

-"I headed to the gym to grab a few more supplies around the time of the murder."

-"I pulled the switch when I noticed the basketball goal was tucked up."

-"I didn't think it was supposed to be flat against the ceiling, so I returned it to its normal position."

-"I swear, I wouldn't have done that if I knew it would make me into a murder suspect."

-"There's nothing suspicious going on here. I just though the switch needed to be pulled."

-"I don't think you can hold this against me when it was an honest mistake."

"You pulled the switch because you thought the basketball goal was in the wrong position," I frowned. I didn't really buy what he was trying to sell us. I had a feeling something darker was going on behind the scenes. I didn't exactly have any proof, but judging by the way Mr. Morix was looking, he felt the same way.

"Can you blame me for thinking that way? I don't know much about the school. I thought the goal was supposed to be down when it wasn't being used," Mr. Barr shrugged neutrally. "It was an honest mistake. I don't think you can hold it against me."

"Our previous witness, Ms. Blake, saw him walking into the gymnasium at the time of the murder. Well technically, it was fifteen minutes after the fact since the defendant was already gone, off to wash the paint off," Prosecutor Lin announced. "We've found the one who pulled the switch at the time of the murder. It seems he did it because he didn't realize it was supposed to be set up differently."

"The defense still wishes to perform its cross-examination," Mr. Morix declared with a frown. "I have a few questions for the witness."

"As do I," I agreed with a firm nod.

"If we know for sure that he flipped the switch, all we need to do is attempt to prove intent. I doubt this could have been that innocent of a mistake. I think something darker is working behind the scenes here," Mr. Morix whispered to me.