7

- For better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, in sorrow and in joy.

On the stag night before the wedding ceremony, they've been to everything single bar they could find.

It is 3 o'clock in the morning when they finally say goodbye to all of their friends. Eddy and Brett are way too drunk. But at least they still recall that they are not heading to the same direction. They will not even be standing on the same side of the road for a taxi.

Eddy waves his hand, stumbling as he turns and leaves.
He hasn't made many steps before his hand was grabbed.
"Eddy,"
So Eddy turns around. He sees Brett panting from the rush. The place where he is grabbed shares the same warmth as Brett. Cold air weaving through their interlocking fingers, making him somewhat anxious.

Brett looks like he has something important to say.

Eddy blinks his eyes, submitting his hand to his best man tomorrow, silently, as he waits for Brett's words.

The noisy music and wind suddenly quiet down. There is no one around. The city merges itself into a giant background, where they both become two tiny little puzzle pieces, whose destinations have already been determined in advance.

The neon light from the commercial street is twisting and bouncing across their body. Eddy can see those colourful light swirling in Brett's limpid eyes. The dark black of his pupils are weaved into a curious galaxy.

Something flashes across Eddy's mind. Everything around him fades into monochromatic, only the touch of Brett's hand feels so lively and real. As if being driven by something, he squeezes his hand in response.

At some point in Brett's eyes, he sees so much more than the misty tipsiness, making his heart twitch in pain. He squints, but the untold complex labyrinth hides away under the flowing colours in a blink. Eddy feels lost, without knowing where and how, but with a firm idea that he did see it -- the hallucinating gleam, like the one that casts blurry shadows in his bottom of heart.

Brett's eyes are so determine. He inhales. His lips part.

Eddy's heart beats like a demented timpanist. He hardly dare to blink, afraid of missing any thing. He is not sure what he is anticipating. Vaguely, he has a wild guess, but his brain is so frightened to make any assumptions.

They never knew a single second could be so long that the old world is fading away; the end of fate is freezing into eternity; the merciless, ruthless, left-behind time alone chants them a lament.

Until finally, Brett opens up. He says,
"I'm so ... happy for you, Eddy."

All the noises instantly surge back to Eddy's ears. The air starts moving; the lights regain their colours.

Brett is grinning, even his eyebrows bend slightly. But Eddy feels like falling into an ice cell. The dull pain that was only subtle before suddenly reveals its fierce fangs, tearing his heart apart piece by piece.

He doesn't know how to response. He thought he would be in pain, but in the end, he breathes relief, a relief so strong though he doesn't know where it comes from.

Brett silents himself too. He just smiles
Finally, Eddy looks down, a bitter taste filled the tip of his tongue.

They finally reach the point – The proudest raconteur loses his speech, while the best listener becomes absent-minded.

- TBC