"You could get a fish"

Start from the beginning

"Do you drink a lot of alcohol?" Eli asks me once I join him again.

"Usually not but I do enjoy a good glass of rosé or white wine here and there. What about you?" I look at him to catch his jaw clenching once again and his hands tightly grip the handle of the cart. He notices me looking at him and quickly loosens his grip. He shrugs nonchalantly.

"I don't drink." I did not expect that answer. I imagined him to be the type of man who would enjoy an ice-cold foreign beer every day after work.

"Not at all?"

"No."

"What's the reason?" I dare to ask, my curiosity getting the better of me.

"Just because," is his answer just as we reach the cash register. I wonder if I should say something to that, interrogate him further or if I should just keep my mouth shut. Of course, I don't keep my mouth shut. If I find something or someone interesting, I rarely do.

"Is it because of religious reasons?"

"I'm not religious."

"Okay, what is it then?" He ignores my question and grabs all the grocery bags. I notice now that he brought bags from home. I approve. We need to save our planet and not pollute it so much. His strides are fast and I fail to keep up with him. When I reach the car, he has already put all the groceries in the trunk and walks around to the driver's side. I climb into the car with him and buckle my seatbelt.

"You care about the environment?" Another question slips past my lips.

"Yes, of course."

"That's great. Not many people do. You work at the repair shop with Bennett, right?"

"Right."

Based on his short answers, I get the feeling he doesn't really want to talk.

"Am I annoying you?" I quietly ask him.

"No, but you sure are a curious one."

"I know, I'm sorry."

"Don't be. You did nothing wrong. I just don't like talking about myself that much, is all."

"Noted. It's a shame, though. I bet you have a lot to tell." I try to make him feel better about himself. Who knows why. I just try to be a nice human being because it usually doesn't take much to be kind.

"I really don't."

I doubt that.

Tess and I sit around the bonfire, a glass of white wine in hand and a smile on our faces. It is a beautiful night and the backyard is filled with people. Bennett invited a lot of his friends and many brought their children or siblings. Tess points at a tall boy around our age.

"That's Simon, Marshall's little brother. I've had a crush on him for a while but I don't see him often enough to make anything out of it." We met Marshall a couple of hours ago. He is a frequent at the repair shop and he and the guys get along very well. They soon became great friends. Simon has shaggy blond hair and a lean body even though he is quite slim. He is pretty good looking and I can see why Tess likes him. His smile is very charming and he has bright blue eyes. Cute dimples as well.

"Why don't you go over and say hello?" I question her.

"You're one to talk," she retorts.

"Hey, I just spend a whole hour alone with a very handsome man in front of whom I have embarrassed myself. I have every right to talk, lady."

"You had no choice."

"Yeah, that's even worse. Come on, you are great with guys and you are gorgeous. Just go and talk to him. Maybe he'll be your summer romance." I encourage her, wiggling my eyebrows playfully.

"Ugh, okay. Better than always asking myself 'what if'."

"Yes, that's my girl! Go get 'em, tiger!" I whisper-yell and raise my glass towards her.

"Shhhhh! Don't embarrass me now," Tess shushes me, throwing a glare in my direction. I raise my hands innocently and make a kissy face at her. She ignores my gesture and strides to where Simon is standing with his big brother and a woman I don't know.

"Are you playing cupid?" I deep voice asks from behind me, making me turn in my chair abruptly. Eli stands directly behind my chair, a water bottle in his hand and his eyebrows raised.

"Um, yeah, maybe. Tess has a crush on him for a while so I just encouraged her to get what she wants. Is your girlfriend not here?"

He places Tess's chair a bit closer to mine and sits down in it. His arm brushes against mine and goosebumps erupt all over my body. I pull my arm to my body, feeling confused at its reaction to Eli's touch.

"I don't have a girlfriend." Huh, I guess Tess was right.

"Do you think Tommy will show up?" I ask him, curious as to what his reaction will be. I haven't seen Tommy since yesterday and honestly, I don't mind it at all. He gives me weird vibes.

"I hope not," is all he says before taking a large sip from his water bottle.

"Me too."

From my peripheral vision, I see his head slowly turn to me and he intently looks at me.

"What did he do to you that makes you wish he won't show up?" he asks in a low tone.

"I could ask you the same thing."