"You could get a fish"

Semi-fast, I make my way over to Eli's pick up truck. I open the passenger side door and climb up into the soft leather seats. The car smells intensely like lavender, maninka, lime and leather mixed with a slight wooden scent. Even though the lavender is clearly identifiable, it is a very manly and deep aroma. It's soothing and exciting my nerves at the same time. I steal a quick glance at him, his jaw is clenched and he just looks straight ahead at the road. After a couple of minutes of driving, he visibly relaxes. He lowers his shoulders, his right arm leaves the steering wheel and lands on his broad thigh and his jaw unclenches.

"Vegetarian, huh?" he questions without looking in my direction.

"Yup," I confirm, quickly averting my gaze to my lap.

"Why?" he probes further.

"Short or long answer?"

"Short," he quickly says adding a soft "please".

"Well, I love animals, it is better for your health and for the planet."

"I understand," he nods once. "You have pets?"

"I used to have a dog when I was younger. She's passed many years ago."

He looks at me then, momentarily taking his eyes off the road. "I'm sorry."

"It's alright. Do you have a pet?"

He laughs a little at my question. "No."

"Why not?"

His hand tightens around the steering wheel and his jaw locks back in place. "I can barely take care of myself much less of a dog or cat."

"You could get a fish," I offer, wanting to loosen the tension. He lets out a full-on laugh at my proposal. It's short-lived but beautiful. His white teeth flash in the sunlight and his eyes light up a little, creasing at their corners. I smile at him laughing. He should do it more often, it really suits him.

"I like your laugh," I admit before I can stop myself. His head snaps in my direction and I quickly turn my own in order to look out the window. He doesn't comment on my compliment, doesn't even say thanks. I take it that the conversation is over and I continue to look out of the window until we reach the local supermarket.

We're strolling through the aisles at the store, Eli pushing the cart and me walking in front of him. When we reach the meat aisle, I hurry out of there as fast as I can, looking for vegetarian and vegan products. Once I spotted the right shelf, I grab a pack of vegan sausages before going for the veggies. Eli is already sorting through the corn cobs and I place my stuff in the cart.

"Do you want sweet corn?"

"Yes, please."

"How many?"

"Oh, one is enough. I've got some vegan sausages so..." I expect him to grimace or make a face of disgust when I mention the vegan sausages but he just nods his head and mumbles a low "okay". That's a new reaction. Most people I know make fun of vegan food. He returns to the cart and puts the vegetables inside before pushing the cart further down the aisle. We reach the shelves with the beverages and he looks at me expectantly.

"What?" I ask him.

"Go choose something to drink for you and Tess," he orders, pointing towards the aisle with his chin.

"You guys don't need drinks?"

"We already bought beer the other day. We're all set."

"What if we want wine?"

He lets out an annoyed sigh. "We have that, too. Would you please just go and choose a drink."

"Okay okay," I mutter, walk down the aisle and grab two bottles of pineapple juice and one bottle of orange juice. Tess and I really like juices. But nothing beats water for me. Water is the shit.