Chapter 8

"How dare you to defy me, you insolent girl?" The Voice is now a hiss, accompanied by violent thuds and a cold wind that gives the chills. Hayley and Chase are now cuddling each other, and so are Kelsie and Myles. The thought of being washed away because of Whitney's lackadaisical attitude and negligence is slowly growing inside their minds.

Whitney's still crossing her arms and barely notices that the chilly wind is hitting her harshly. She doesn't even seem to realize that a mysterious force is lifting her from the floor, then throwing her out of the kitchen and making her fly through the living room. The guys, Leah and Lindsey trail after her but stop as soon as the breeze hits their faces, eventually forcing to step back to the kitchen.

Another thud shakes the house, after which the window in the living room wide opens. Whitney doesn't even try to cling to anything, she seems to know what her fate is and accepts it without hesitation. This is why the only sound she emits as she's sucked out of the house is a dry hiss. In particular, she mutters, gritting her teeth, "You'll pay for that!"

For some reason, however, that sentence echoes through the house, making chill go down some of the other guys and girls' spine. Kayden comments in a flat tone, "I guess Whitney is gone, too. Wow. The Voice always keeps its promises."

"Indeed I do," says the Voice in response to his statement. The mysterious entity, however, instead of mentioning that it let go of Whitney, prefers switching the focus on the remaining sixteen young men and women. "It's been a long day, so you're all going to get some sleep. All but you, Jennifer. We need to talk."

Jennifer is shocked at the Voice's request. What does it want? She has always done her part, telling interesting, catchy stories and never complaining when it's her turn to narrate. She has also shown solid leadership skills and a great amount of generosity. What does the Voice want from her more? There must be something sketchy.

As she's about to ask a question, the Voice stops her short. "There's no time for questions. Follow me." Again, Jennifer wants to ask where the invisible entity is about to lead her, only to realize that, after all, the Voice isn't a physical person. She has to trust it. There's no other choice.

She walks down the living room, then reaches an aisle and keeps walking straight, until the Voice orders her to stop.

"Now, where are we going?" asks the girl, looking around and noticing only now that the corridor is barely lit by a line of candles on the walls. In other, far less dangerous circumstances, she'd point out that candles so close to the walls would be a major safety hazard and therefore forbidden, but who is she to tell the Voice they're actually dangerous?

"Now stop." The Voice's latest command wipes all her doubt away in a fraction of second. The only thing she can do, now, is to listen carefully to every single piece of instructions.

Since now, there's no going back.

***

Back in the kitchen, the rest of the group intend to follow the Voice's advice and get some sleep, regardless of the fact that they didn't have a proper meal at all. "I caught a glimpse at the living room before, and there's a door not far from the window," explains Leah. "Perhaps bedrooms are there."

Not everyone seems to agree with her, though. "Are you sure we can go in?" points out Kaitlynn. "I mean, the Voice could tell us off, or even suck us out of here at any time!" A hint of fear fills her voice, making an already trembling Hayley shake even further.

Leah, however, dismisses their feelings with a shrug and a grunt. "Okay, I don't want to play babysitter. So, if you're scared cats, just stay here. The catch is, you'll sleep on the floor," she says dryly, causing Maisy to roll her eyes. Damn, the girl can be really annoying! I'm already done with her. When is Jenn coming back?

Maisy's thoughts, fortunately for her, distract her from the antics of some of the other housemates. Nerves are slowly wrecking, tension is building up brick by brick; even hunger is making people lose part of their sense. As soon as Leah opens the mysterious door and passes it, the boys immediately follow her. Myles has to drag a clinging Kelsie with him, even though she's afraid of the dark.

Maisy, Lindsey and Leigh trail after them, and the latter closes the door behind her. Kaitlynn and Hayley, as predicted, stay behind by the couches along with a sleepy Spring. The three girls take up one couch each and curb themselves, trying not to think of the freezing wind that passes their skins until it fills their bones.

Meanwhile, the rest of the group walk down the dark corridor, occasionally stopping to watch their steps. That is, until Leah stops by the first door on the right whereas Keaton sets sight on the one on the left. "Let's split up and check these rooms," he suggests, earning the others' approval.

He then approaches Kane and the other boys. "Follow me," he says, after which the men enter the room at the left. Kelsie stops at the threshold, under the belief that she can't go in with the guys, but Myles gives her a hand out of encouragement. "Come on, it's just the two of us and the other boys. We're going to check this room and that's it."

Trying to rely on his instinct, Keaton slowly walks by the closest wall until he stumbles upon a button. "Click it," says Kayden, eager to check what's there inside. As Keaton does as asked, the lights go on, revealing a bedroom with a large wardrobe, four bunker beds, a window—like the one in the living room—and a chair at the center of the room over an old, dusty rug.

"Cool! So this is for all of us, right?" exclaims Chase. "But what is the chair for?" Before anyone else can answer his questions, everyone else is already picking their beds. Kelsie and Myles share the same bunker bed, of course, with him letting her sleep on the bottom bed. The rest, on the other hand, decide to pick partners randomly.

As everyone else is lying in bed, Keaton reaches the button, turns the lights off and reaches his own bed at last, ready to take some hours of well-deserved rest.

***

Jennifer is still standing in the middle of the aisle, wondering what the Voice wants from it and also believing that the other girls might be looking for them. Before she even notices it, the Voice shakes her out of thoughts. "I called you up because I want you to do me a favor."

Not knowing what to say, the blue-haired girl just nods. The Voice continues, "I noticed your skills at storytelling and, let me tell you, I'm impressed. Anyway, I want you and the rest of the group to finish the story you left open before I kicked Candice out."

Hearing her former housemate's name, Jennifer asks, "Candice? Where is she, by the way?" The Voice, however, hisses, clearly not satisfied by the question.

"I can't tell you, sorry." Disappointment causes Jennifer's grin to turn into a sad gaze to the vacuum of darkness. "Anyway, back to business. Tomorrow, this story needs to be finished. And I won't be satisfied until it is. Anyone who tells the story last without finishing it will be thrown out of here." The Voice's tone gets gradually harsher until it becomes mechanic. "Do you understand?"

"Y-yes." Jennifer tries hard to grit her teeth and pronounce that word in just a hiss, but she sulks and stutters, shaking a little bit. Fortunately, this torture is over and she can find a place to sleep.

"Have a good sleep, Jennifer. You'll need it, big time."