Chapter 33: Halloween Night

Začať od začiatku

Peter thought back to the last time he had spoken to Jeremy and how miserable he had seemed. The memory gave Peter a new understanding of Jeremy's usual bravado. Underneath his anger was a scared and hurt little boy.

"It's not about making you," Peter said calmly as he let go of Jeremy's hand. "It's about being respectful and honorable."

"Whatever. I could take you," Jeremy challenged, spewing spittle. "Right now. Let's go outside, loser."

"I think that's a great idea," Peter agreed, thinking that Jeremy might be more honest if they were away from a crowd.

He dragged Jeremy out to the backyard and Alicia followed.

"You wanna go at it?" Jeremy challenged. "Fine. Put 'em up!"

Peter faced him with a stern expression and crossed arms.

"What's this really about, Jeremy?" he demanded.

"This is about me kicking your butt," Jeremy thundered.

"Look around," Peter said. "No one's watching. It's just you, me, and Alicia. Look, I know you're going through some stuff, but this is a horrible way to deal with it."

To his surprise, Jeremy started crying. He collapsed on the steps of the back patio and held his knees. Peter and Alicia exchanged a confused look.

"My mom left a while ago, okay?" he confessed. "Just up and disappeared. My dad can't find her anywhere." He seemed to grow smaller and younger. "Why didn't she take me with her?" he whispered.

Peter's heart ached at the pain in Jeremy's voice. He, of course, already knew the situation, but he hadn't thought about just how much it was affecting Jeremy. And it was easy to understand his pain. As weird and annoying as Peter's mom could be, he couldn't imagine life without her.

"That's rough, man," Peter said slowly. "You know, if you need someone to talk to, I'm here. And I bet a lot more people would feel the same way if you opened up and told them about it."

"No." Jeremy stuck out his rectangular bottom lip. "Nobody likes a weak guy."

"Sure they do," Peter argued. "People love weak and vulnerable. Think of a puppy. Who doesn't love a puppy? But have you ever heard of karma? That there are consequences to every choice you make. When you say things like you did to Alicia and when you touch them without permission, well, people don't usually like that."

Jeremy sniffed and turned to look at Alicia.

"I'm sorry, Ali."

She crossed her arms, looking very impatient.

"Just don't do it again," she said while glowering.

"Oh, god," he choked. "Do you think that's why my mom left? She really doesn't love me, does she?"

"Whoa. Hold up." Peter sat on the step next to him. "Maybe it wasn't about you. Maybe she had some other reason."

Jeremy nodded sullenly. "My dad." Then his bottom lip stuck out even farther. "And I act just like him. I'm so messed up."

He buried his head into his knees and shook. Peter let him cry a moment while he thought of what to say.

"You know, in Buddhism, there's this idea that life is always in the state of changing and evolving. If we base our happiness on things that change, then our happiness will change. But if we base our happiness on things that don't change, like truth and virtue, then we can find peace."

Jeremy nodded slowly in agreement, then without warning, he leaned over and puked on Peter's foot.

"I feel better now," he said as he wiped his mouth. "Thanks, man."