Chapter 15 - Right Samadhi

When Peter arrived at the dojo the next day, Sensei Charlie was teaching the class and Rob was nowhere in sight. Peter sat at the front desk and pulled out his homework.

He wished he had been there earlier to run out to some spiritual adventure. He had practiced a new mantra and had rehearsed controlling his facial expressions. He had even given up chips and soda for that purpose, but apparently, it wasn't enough yet.

When the class was over, Sensei Charlie leaned against the partition and watched the parking lot.

"So Super Buddhist still isn't back yet?" she said.

He stiffened.

"Must be a tough supervillain today," he joked through his tension.

After a short pause, he heard her say, "You know something."

He snapped his head up. "What?"

She was studying him critically. "You're more nervous anytime I mention it now. And you've been awfully chummy with him lately." Her eyes narrowed. "What do you know? Spill."

Peter took a split second to control his face to a relaxed expression.

"You want to know what I know?" he said. "He's calm with angry parents, patient with annoying students like me, and he's generous with people who can't pay tuition. He's strong and selfless and self-disciplined. And he's been all that since the first time I met him. Whatever his secret is, I know there must be a good reason."

She mulled it over. "You've got a point," she conceded.

He's going to owe me for that one, Peter thought.

"I don't know many people as good as he is," she said.

She got a faraway look and smiled to herself.

"So how long have you liked him?" Peter asked with a smirk.

"What?" She straightened. "I never... I... I didn't say..."

He gave her a cut-the-act look. "Then why were you smiling?"

"It was a joke," she said quickly. "I was just thinking of a joke I heard recently."

"Oh, yeah?" he challenged. "What was the joke?"

They had a stare down for a few moments before she said, "Did you see that new karate movie that came out? I hear it was a block-buster."

Peter groaned when he got it.

"I mean, it was really sensei-tional!" she added.

Peter chuckled and shook his head.

DING!

"Hey, guys, what are you talking about?" Rob asked as he came through the front door.

"Sensei Charlie was just making a corny joke," Peter said.

"Oh! I've got one, too." Rob clapped his hands in excitement. "What do Christians and Buddhists have in common? Anyone? They both want to know if you've been born again!"

Charlie giggled politely.

"Get it?" Rob asked Peter. "Because of reincarnation!"

Peter rolled his eyes. "I don't know which one of you is worse."

"Now, now," Charlie chided him. "I hear reincarnation is making a comeback."

Rob paused while the joke set in. Then he laughed like a hyena. Peter thought that they were perfect for each other.

"Okay, let's get to the lesson." Sensei urged them both to the mats.

"I can't tell you how much I look forward to this," Charlie said.