Prologue and Chapter 1

Disclaimer:

This series is merely a work of science fiction. The intent of this story is not to convert, but to inform. All characters and situations are purely fictional and are not based on true events, though they are inspired by accounts of real life exorcists. But where reality ends and the fantasy begins... that is for the reader to decide.

"Greater in battle than the man who would conquer a thousand-thousand men, is he who would conquer just one — himself."
The Buddha, Dhammapada, 103

PROLOGUE

Rob could feel the asuras nearby. Their presence was always signaled by a particular kind of sensation – like he was swimming in murky, shark-infested waters.

Like he was being hunted.

It was more than the dark, rainy night, or the fact that he was hanging out in a creepy, empty alleyway.

The presence of evil was like an ice cube on his spine – chilling, uncomfortable, and impossible to ignore.

He would never get used to it, no matter how many times he felt it. And he had been feeling it a lot more lately.

He searched the scene for the victims and it didn't take long before he spotted them. A middle-aged man loomed near the opening of the alley, peering at the entrance to the city gym.

To any passerby, the man would appear like any other, but with the help of his deva, Rob could see what others couldn't: darkness, blacker than the night's shadows, enveloped the man in a whirlpool.

The man was still in there somewhere, but the asura had wrapped itself onto his mind as if it were a tentacled beast from the ocean's trenches.

The darkness around the man became more energetic when a lone woman emerged from the gym – young, attractive, and unsuspecting. She walked in their direction.

The second victim, Rob thought. Well, not on my watch.

He reached out and put a strong hand on the man's shoulder.

The man jumped and whirled around.

"Excuse me, sir," Rob said. "Do you need some help?"

He tried to give his kindest smile, but he was sure that a muscular, dreadlocked black dude in his sweats was quite a surprise to find behind you in a dark alley

But the man didn't seem worried.

He scowled. "Whatever you're peddling, I don't want it."

The woman reached her car, very close to the alley, and paused to dig for her keys in her gym bag.

"What I have to offer you is free," Rob replied.

"Where are those dang keys?" the woman said, unaware of the danger just a few leaps away.

The man rubbed his temples. "I don't need a Lord and Savior," he grumbled. "Just leave me alone."

Rob's smile broadened and he said, "How about a Buddha?"

CLICK. CLICK.

Finally, the woman unlocked her car, got in, and closed the door.

Rob hid his expression, but he was pleased that he had saved at least one of the victims.

The asura was not so pleased.

The man – or the evil spirit inside him – roared with such a force that it sent Rob skidding backwards on the slick pavement.