20. when the dead come knocking

Start from the beginning

'Carl!' The man who saw them first shouted, taking the kid's attention. The boy reached into his pocket and took out a set of keys which he threw towards the man.

He opened the fence and sprinted outside with his gun raised. She froze as he aimed his gun right at her but when he pulled the trigger the bullet found its target in a walker's skull that had been approaching from behind her.

His help somehow renewed her energy and she ran as fast as she could towards the basket, lifting it from the ground before running back to Michonne. Her eyes briefly met the piercing blue gaze of the man who'd saved her life. Then he looked away and gestured down at Michonne.

'Is she bit?' He asked, a strong accent in his voice.

Quinn shook her head and pointed at Michonne's leg. 'Gunshot,' she mumbled.

The man knelt down, examining the wound. This had to be either Rick or Shane, both men who were in charge according to Andrea. He put Michonne's arm around his shoulder and lifted her up before quickly making his way back behind the fence.

Quinn was right behind him, the basket tightly in one hand and a dagger in the other.

The kid closed the gate behind them, shielding them from the ever hungry corpses. For now, they were safe.

The man guided her towards one of the cell blocks. He all but kicked the door open, shouting instructions to the kid that had followed them inside.

'Carl get a blanket, Beth water and a towel.'

Quinn turned around to see a young blonde girl with a baby in her arms and an old man with crutches following them. She didn't have more time to look at them though, or wonder where they had come from. Putting the basket down on the table that stood in the middle of the grey area she turned to look at Michonne who seemed to be more or less awake now.

The kid, Carl, placed a blanket on the ground and the man carefully placed Michonne down on it.

Quinn kneeled beside her friend, her heart beating nervously in her chest. She had to be okay. She couldn't lose her now.

The blonde girl handed a bottle of water to the man. He sprinkled some of it on Michonne's chest to wake her up.

Her eyes flew open and a startled gasp left her lips as she looked around in panic.

'Hey, it's okay,' the man tried to calm her down. 'Who are you?'

Those words only seemed to make her panic more as she turned on her side and reached for her sword but the man kicked it out of reach.

'We're not gonna hurt you unless you try something stupid first,' he said, slow but stern.

'It's okay, I'm right here,' Quinn said, putting her hand on Michonne's shoulder. 'Calm down alright.'

Michonne took a deep breath, seeming to find that enough for now as she closed her eyes again, allowing herself a moment of rest.

The man turned to Quinn and held out his hand to her, his eyes on the weapons attached to her waist. An annoyed sigh escaped her lips as she reached for the four daggers behind her belt and handed them to him.

'Who are you?' The man asked again.

'I'm not answering any questions until I'm sure she's okay,' Quinn snapped, nodding at Michonne. This seemed to frustrate the man even more, but she didn't care. She had lost Andrea, she wasn't going to lose Michonne too.

'Rick?' A deep raspy male voice questioned from behind them.

So, he was Rick, the man she'd heard so much about.