20. when the dead come knocking

Start from the beginning

But the two women didn't have any strength left to fight and they could only hope the group in the prison were as good hearted as Andrea had always said they were.

Finally, between the trees, a tower became visible and as the two of them walked forwards the end of the forest came into sight. They stepped out from beneath the trees, into a meadow that surrounded the huge prison complex.

It had towers, fences with barbed wire and not a single walker seemed to be inside.

A small breath of pure awe left Quinn her lips. This truly seemed like a good place to keep yourself safe from the dangers of the outside world. What used to keep dangerous people in, now kept dangerous people out. But she couldn't help but feel a certain weight in her chest as well. Her brother had been put in a prison closer to her home at first and there she had visited him a few times. Before he was transferred to this horrible place. She had never been here before, simply not having the money to travel this far, but here she was anyway, seeing the place where he had most likely died...

Michonne walked up to the fence with Quinn on her heels. The red basket was still tightly clasped in her hands as they made their way past the walkers and through the knee-high grass.

Their arrival hadn't gone unnoticed. A man slowly made his way down from the prison, walking across the great meadow that lay between the first fence and the second. His entire body seemed to radiate caution as he narrowed his bright blue eyes at them, his hand resting on his gun as he reached the fence.

Michonne stared at him before reaching up to grab the fence to steady herself.

Quinn noticed his eyes going to the basket in her hand and the way they slightly widened when he realised what was inside.

More people came running down towards the fence but her attention was drawn to movement beside her as a walker suddenly seemed to pick up their scent. She looked down to Michonne's leg, noticing the wound had started bleeding again, the fresh scent of blood drawing the walkers closer.

'Shit,' she muttered as she carefully placed the basket down and reached for her daggers.

Michonne stepped back from the fence and reached for her katana. Without hesitating she drove it straight through the skull of the first approaching corpse. Quinn turned around, standing back-to-back with Michonne so they couldn't get a surprise attack from behind.

She knew they wouldn't be able to hold them off for long. She was barely holding it together and Michonne couldn't even stand on her leg. Quinn could only hope these people would open the gate before they would be torn apart.

Michonne beheaded a walker, but lost her balance in the process.

A panicked scream escaped her lips as she tried to pull Michonne up by her arm while killing a walker at the same time. She could hear Michonne's breathing quicken behind her. 'Mich, stay with me!' Quinn yelled as panic flamed inside of her. She raised her leg to kick a corpse to the ground, kneeled over it and drove her knife through its skull.

A heavy thud came from behind her making Quinn spin around, her eyes wide. Michonne had collapsed, her eyes slowly closing.

'No, no, no, no,' Quinn mumbled.

There were too many walkers approaching and she could barely even stand herself. Staying close to Michonne's unconscious body she pushed her dagger into the shoulder of a corpse, not having the strength to reach higher. With her other hand she managed to take another dagger from her belt, driving it through the walker's eye.

A sudden gunshot made her jump as she watched a walker to her right fall down. She managed a quick look over her shoulder and saw a young boy with a sheriff's hat standing behind the fence with his gun raised. He just saved her life.