Chapter 5

We launched into a forward trot. Gatsby knew and liked that he had an audience, while I was 100% against it. I couldn't believe how smooth his gaits were, I couldn't believe I was riding this horse! He was obviously higher level, and treated me like a higher level rider. We tracked left, and at M broke into a smooth canter. We crossed the arena and I slowed him to a trot right before X, turning right sharply. We piaffed down the rail, and then slowed to an extended walk. At A, we broke into a collected trot down the center line. At X, we halted and saluted.

Applause. The groups of college age riders scattered around the fence whooped and clapped. I blushed so heavily my face must have looked like at tomato. What were college students doing awake at 7:30?

I dismounted and walked back to the barn. Gatsby was sweating lightly, so I walked him upstairs and untacked him in a wash stall. People ambled past, guys and girls alike flashing me smiles. I walked to the tack room and opened the door, to find a guy sifting through the mini-fridge to find a drink. When I walked in, he jumped and looked up.

"Oh! Hey! Hi! Hey there! Hi! Shoot! Hi!" I blushed and he grinned. Crap. I messed up again. You can tell I have NO social skills. Zero.

"Hi hello hey hi there hi hi to you to!" He took a tea out of the fridge and offered me one.

"Oh, no thanks. I'm Scarlett by the way. "I swiped my sweaty brown hair out of my green eyes. No social skills.

"Hey Scarlett. I'm Brandon. You have a horse here?" He opened my locker door for me.

"Nope. I'm using two of the school horses here." I shrugged, putting everything back where I had gotten it. Suddenly, an ear-splitting scream reached our ears, followed by some other words.

"BRANDON TELLHARK WHERE IN THE WORLD ARE YOU?!?" A female voice, unnaturally high, screeched right outside the tack room. Brandon Tellark? Tellhark... Where had I heard this name. I gasped, remembering just as the now revealed mystery girl burst through the door.

She was unnaturally beautiful, with a nice skin tone, model completion, and like me had brown hair and green eyes. Except she looked better.

"Geez Alice! Calm down! I'm just talking to a friend." She scowled, looking me over.

"Are you smart?" She stared me down

"I'm doing high school classes, yeah." She made me nervous beyond belief.

"You're kinda pretty.... You ride, obviously. All we have to do is get you a horse. Brandon honey, call your dad and get right on that. By the way, I approve." She closed the door, allowing me to take a breath.

"Wait.... You're the David Tellhark's son? Famous equestrian? Owns high quality eventing stable?" He sheepishly nodded.

"Yeah... And don't worry, you'll find the perfect horse someday." With that, he left, leaving me alone.