Chapter 3

My phone ringing woke me up. It was Lauren. Shoot! I picked up as I scanned the stable hours.

"Hello? Scar?" Lauren's voice sounded concerned as I groggily got up and out of my room,locking it.

"Hey Laur!"I yawned as I left the building.

"Geez Scar you scared me! I've called you like eight times!" She sighed with relief to hear me.

"Nope, I'm fine, just sleeping in." I arrived at the stable doors.

"At six thirty at night? School hasn't even started and you're already going crazy!" She was practiccally shouting. I laughed at her concern for me.

"Lauren, I'm fine. What's up?" I lowered the volume as I tried to find my horses' stalls.

"How do you like it? Have you made any enemies, any anything? Who are you riding? Have you had a lesson? WHAT IS HAPPENING WITHOUT ME?!?" I took the phone away from my ear.

"Relax. No I haven't made any friends or enemies, but not a lot of girls are here yet. I'm riding two different horses named Kermit and Gatsby. No I haven't had a lesson. And yes, I have to go. Bye!"

I clicked END on my phone as I arrived at the tack room with all of my things in it. Taped on my locker were the stall numbers of both of my horses. Well, that made everything easier. I walked to the first number and found Gatsby laying down on his fresh shavings. I chuckled and took a picture of the gelding with shavings clinging to him. I gently unlocked the stall door and sat down next to his head. He nickered, and I smiled. Girls walked by as I talked with him about me. He listened with ears pricked forward. Eventually, he drifted off to sleep. Weird I know, I've never watched a horse fall asleep before. I quietly rose up and went to Kermit's stall. He was munching in some grain, and when I arrived, he ambled over. I let myself inside his stall.

We chatted for a while as well, although again it was me talking mostly. He stayed awake as I dozed off several times. Finally, I gave him a goodnight pat and a kiss, securing his stall door and walking down the ramp.

As I walked back, I looked around me. Everything was serene and beautiful, and I couldn't wait for my first lesson. There were too many arenas to count, with forest patching the property. More girls and some guys walked around me, and we exchanged smiles as they would walk past. When I got to Stetson, I unlocked my door and flopped down on the couch. I checked the clock. 8:40. Wow. Normally, that wasn't very late, but for some reason tonight I was exhausted. I turned on the television in my room, and turned on the shower. As I picked out clothes to sleep in, I grabbed my shampoo and conditioner as well as shower gel. I took a shower and changed into my basketball shorts and a soft cotton tee. Flopping down onto my bed, I fell asleep almost instantly, leaving the Lion King playing on the movie channel.