ii. Somebody Save Me

- a month later -

~ Kay's POV ~

"Kay, somebody's on the phone for you," the band's manager, Doc, told me as he held out his gigantic cell phone out for me, the bus rattling my hand as I reached to grasp it.

I looked quizzically at Doc before holding the phone up to my ear and asking, "Hello?"

"Kay?" My mother's voice quivered over the phone.

"Mom? How did you get this number?" I demanded, tightening my fingers on the phone as I looked back to Nikki laughing along with the guys at the back of the bus.

"I had to ask around quite a bit," she said softly. "I needed to make sure that you were alright."

"I'm fine, mom," I said, raising my eyes up to the ceiling of the bus even though she couldn't see what I was doing through the phone line.

"When you were home, you mentioned that you'd be coming home every couple of months," she continued, clearly not picking up the signals I was laying down.

"Yeah," I said, regretting giving them so many details about the tour in a desperate attempt to try and convince them to allow me to go. It ended up backfiring completely anyway, just as I had suspected.

"Will you let us meet that boy of yours when you're back? Please," my mother begged over the phone. "I'm sorry your father let you run away like that."

"Well, you did too," I said, remembering how hard it was for me to accept leaving home at such a young age.

"Please just give us a second chance, do it for me," my mother said.

I sighed and turned back to look at Nikki again and he gave me a thumbs up from the back of the bus.

"Okay, fine," I said clenching my teeth, and then telling her the details of when I'd be home in a few days and where we could meet up.

I handed the phone back to Doc and took a deep breath before heading back to Nikki and the guys.

"Who was that babe?" Nikki asked, draping his arm across me when I sat down beside him in the small bus seat.

"My uh, mom," I said, humbly looking to the other guys who now had their eyes intently on me.

"Is everything okay?" Nikki asked worriedly after seeing the nervous expression on my face.

"Yeah," I said, gently nodding at the question, hoping that the topic would soon change to anything else. "She just wants to make sure I'm not dead in a ditch somewhere," I said, chuckling as the guys joined in.

"I didn't even realize you still talked to your parents," Tommy said. They all found out about how I had left home and they had all weighed in to me about their messed up opinions on the matter: Mick thought I should apologize and go back, Tommy said to fuck them, and Vince said anything that thought would get me closer to him.

"I haven't been," I said in an anxious tone, now worrying about having to talk to my parents in a few days. That's not exactly how I had envisioned the break going.

"I say good for you," Mick said, taking a long swig from his flask as we pulled up to the venue for the night.

Nikki helped me get up and walked me off of the bus with his hand intertwined in mine. I looked to him with a smile as we all walked in and discovered that they all had their own dressing rooms. That would be fun for later.

"I'm sorry about your mom calling like that," Nikki said, squeezing himself into his tight pants for the show.

"It's alright," I said, switching my expression to a more charming one. "I don't care what she'll say anyway...she knows absolutely nothing about us." I slowly moved over to him, distracting him from getting ready.