vi - coffee date

The rain comes in sheets, like impatient fingers drumming my heavy feet into action. My guitar sits squarely on my back in it's hard case. Every step making it knock and bump into the small of my back, reminding me of its presence. 

I'd forgotten an umbrella, assuming that the weather would be fine and now am damp and cold, and in desperate need of caffeine and warmth. Classes ran over this morning, and I've texted ahead to let Rydel and Jemma get their drinks before me. I am about two buildings away and I pick up the pace, eager to get out of the rain. 

The door chimes and I am enveloped in the warmth of the quaint cafe, the wooden finishes and furnishings giving an impression of coziness which is part of the charm that had Jemma and I continually coming back. I spot Jemma and Rydel in our corner booth and give them a wave, letting them know I had arrived. 

I stand a moment and let myself drip in the doorway before trekking the water in. I then make a beeline to the counter. A blonde head bobs behind the coffee machine, and I immediately feel uneasy. I recognise the roots before the face follows as he steps up the counter. He smiles at me and straightens his half apron. I can't help but notice how tight the white sleeves of his uniform was. 

     "You play?" Ross asks, waving to the instrument on my back. 

     "You work?"

Ross shrugs, "How do you expect me to pay for my lifestyle?"

His joke falls flat, and he rushes to fill the silence, "You haven't accepted my request, Nia. It hurts."

I roll my eyes, "I don't know you." 

      "But you know my sister?"

      "I'll get to know her."

      "And not me?"

His eyebrows draw together, and there is a hint of pain in his expression. But it is momentary. His co-worker slides him a coffee and he calls out the name. A flouncy girl giggles as she makes her way up the counter, "Thanks, Ross." 

Her voice is musical, and she bats her eyes at him. He winks as she hands her the drink. More giggling ensues. 

      "I think I know enough," I say, when he turns back to me. My face is neutral. 

      "You don't know it all," he tries to be cute, but I am done with this interaction.

      "I'll have a flat white and a choc chip muffin." He hesitates ringing up my order, I'm closed all of a sudden and I think it has shaken him. 

     "That'll be $3.50," his tone changed, and  brown eyes flat. 

     "Sorry?" That can't be right. 

      "Mates rates," Ross replies opening his hand, beckoning for payment, "I'll bring it over when it is ready." 

I pay, and walk to Rydel and Jemma who were talking expressively. 

     "You two do not know how much I needed this!" I exclaim, swinging my guitar from my shoulder and propping it against the wall. Taking my back from across my shoulders, I then slid into the booth beside Rydel. 

She gives me a one-armed hug, but is cautious of how wet I am from the rain. Surveying their drinks, they must have been here a while without me. I apologise. 

     "Don't be silly," Rydel responds, "You're a musician, it happens. Though I didn't know it was guitar you played?"

     "She's played it for most her life," Jemma nods solemnly. Rydel quirks her eyebrows. 

     "That is so cool! My family have a real appreciation for music. All of us have learnt an instrument atone time or other - " 

     "She has four brothers!" Jemma interrupts, with a shocked expression. I mimic her expression although I'd already knew this from snooping on Facebook. 

      "Yes," Rydel confirms, wrapping her hands around her mug, "It was hard. But yeah, Ross and Rocky - who's my oldest brother - are the guitarists. They stay up all hours of the night when they're together playing." 

I nod. I don't say that I think there is a difference between the style I play and they play, but I am almost certain there is. Jemma launches into a story that has both Rydel and myself giggling. I was about to retort a point made by her, and a towel smacks me in the face. 

Pulling it off, I see Ross standing next to the table with my order - though he'd given me a paper cup instead of the mugs the girls have. 

      "Workplace Health and Safety," Ross states, placing my muffin and coffee in front of me, "You brought a lot of water in, so you have to dry off and stop making puddles." 

     "Okay." I reply dumbly, he looks down deliberately when he is leaving, smiling to me and not to his sister. I turn back to the girls and use the towel to dry my hair a bit and dab some of my clothing.

      "I didn't realise he worked here," Jemma says, directing the statement to Rydel, "Nins and I are here quite a bit." 

      "It's a new job." Rydel confirms. I look over towards Ross who is mopping up the trail I'd made in the store, his back arched and through the t-shirt I could see muscles working. Not to mention, his ass in the mandatory blue jeans while he stoops over the water - 

I snap out of it pretty quickly, but not before I spot the girls in the store doing the same thing I had. He must lap up the attention. There are so many eyes on him, it is like he is the delicacy of this establishment. I shudder. 

Wrapping my hands around my cup, I let the warmth o the coffee defrost my fingers. 

      "You guys are just so nice," Rydel sighs, putting down her now empty cup into the saucer. We are quick to respond that she is too. The more we talk, the more comfortable and dry I get. Every sip I take of the coffee is delicious and heat trickles down my throat. 

Placing the paper cup on the table for the uptienth time, I only now notice a scrawl on the side of the cup. Had Rydel or Jemma spotted it before? I turn the cup, and suddenly it makes sense why I was drinking out of paper, and the other two had mugs. He wanted to stir me. 

The cup read: A Flat White for a Voluptuous N.White. 

I snort, loudly. It interrupts the conversation as both girls look to me. 

Rydel sighs, "I hope he meant 'White' as in your last name or we're gonna have a talk."

Jemma snatches the cup from me so she too can read the message. 

     "This is kind of cute... Okay ladies, heads in," Jemma, having made up her mind on what to do about it has us pose for a photo with the cup which is immediately uploaded to her Snapchat. She gives her phone over to Rydel so she can add her. 

     "Now that is a good photo," she says as she screenshots it. Jemma returns my drink and I finish the dregs of the hot liquid. My phone vibrates in my bag and I pull it out. 

Facebook: Rydel Lynch has tagged you in a photo. 

      "We have to catch up again!" Rydel exclaims, "This was so much fun." 

      "Funny you should mention that," Jemma smiles, standing, "Nia has an assessment here next week!"

We collect our things, and head to the front of the cafe. Jemma and Rydel are going back for classes, and I am done for the day.

      "So where are you doing with the rest of your day?"

       "Probably sleep, though I don't think I will have the chance. People are practising their pieces 24/7 in the dorms." 

      " You board?" I nod. I don't live with my parents anymore. After I graduated high school they moved to the coast, so I don't see them all that often. I explain all this to Rydel and she looks sad and pouts, "I couldn't imagine." 

       "Nia is tough." Jemma says confidently, giving me a hug and a kiss on the cheek before striding with Rydel back to their campus.