Asher's hand instinctively placed itself onto her abdomen, where her scar rested underneath the black fabric of her hoodie. "Years ago, the Circle ambushed certain Institutes in an attempt to weaken the Clave." The brunette paused, leaving out a few details that she didn't want to share. 

Unbeknownst to her, Jace caught up on a small flaw while she was talking. His eyes trailed down to her hand, watching closely as her fingers curved over a small part of her stomach. He raised a brow, but then focused his attention back onto her face before anyone could suspect what he was doing.

"How come no one knows about this?" Clary questioned, slightly surprised at the lack of Shadowhunters knowing this. Asher shrugged, crossing her arms. "The Uprising was one of the most horrific and embarrassing moments of our history. They tried wiping away every memory of it."

"But how is that even possible?" The redhead furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. "It's your history." "Said the girl who didn't know she was a Shadowhunter." Jace chuckled lightly at the irony and walked over to Isabelle, who had her attention set on the multiple screens facing her.

"Yeah." Clary replied sarcastically. "Yeah, you're right. And now the only person who knows the truth is missing, so I don't care about your rules or what's forbidden." "You and Jace both." Asher remarked as she pressed something on the screen, making the front door security feed disappear.

"There's gotta be someone out there who can tell us why they have taken my mother."

"There is." Jace proceeded towards the training room. "You coming?" When Simon started following Clary, the blond Shadowhunter stopped him. "No no no. Not you." "We're a packaged deal." Clary defended, Simon agreeing with her as he stood safely away from Jace. Jace motioned to the training room. "There are runes all over the training room floor that could kill your Mundie boyfriend."

"He's not my-"

"I'm not-"

Clary and her friend spoke at the same time, making Asher chuckle. Jace looked over at Simon. "We're just, uh, just friends." The mundane answered. Clary looked at him and smiled. "Best friends." "Yeah." Simon smiled back. "And I'm tough. I can handle runes." The mundane loosened his posture and smacked Jace's shoulder. "So bring on the runes." He shook his hand slightly, trying to play off the fact that Jace's muscles were harder than he anticipated. He mustered up a small smile to overlook the fact that he knew absolutely nothing. "So...." The mundane trailed off. "What are runes?" Alec and Asher shared a look.

"They give Shadowhunters our demon-fighting powers."

The group looked over at Isabelle as she sauntered up to them. She winked at Asher. "Wanna help me demonstrate?" The brunette chuckled in amusement before reaching behind her and sliding the oversized black hoodie over her head, revealing the top she put on earlier.

It was a v-neck tank top with two pieces of fabric tracing over the curves of her breasts. They overlapped in the center before wrapping around her torso and connecting in the back. Her entire body was littered with runes, including ones that no one had seen before. Asher took out her stele and slowly glided it over a large rune that curved from her neck to her collarbone while Isabelle glided hers over the angelic rune on her forearm. Each rune glowed brightly as small lines of fire slithered underneath their skin.

Simon's lips parted as he stared at the females. If he continued any longer, drool would have started dripping from his mouth. "So hot." The mundane murmured. Jace glanced at the smirk playing on Asher's pink lips, a burning sensation blooming inside his chest. His posture stiffened as he crossed his arms to try to subdue this strange feeling before clearing his throat obnoxiously loud. "The runes." Simon followed up quickly. He glanced behind him at the sight of the blond's biceps protruding underneath the leather jacket.

Isabelle giggled at his reaction. "Don't worry, Clary." She walked towards Simon, a playful glint in her eyes. "I'll watch over the best friend. In fact, I was about to make breakfast." "On second thought, the runes might be less lethal." Jace commented. Asher shook her head as she let out a small laugh besides Isabelle. 

"I'll pretend I didn't hear that." The younger Lightwood smirked at Jace and turned back to Simon. "Please excuse my brother's lack of manners. This is Alec." Isabelle pointed behind her before moving her hand to gesture to the person next to her. "This is Asher, and I'm Isabelle." She delicately placed her hand in front of her. "Lewis, Simon." Simon grasped her hand and shook it enthusiastically. "Simon Lewis. Two first names. Am I still talking?" Isabelle's giggled again at his nervousness. Asher didn't understand why Isabelle was so interested in him. But then again, there isn't much to do in the Institute.

"See?" Jace motioned to the two of them. "Best friend safe and sound here."

"Jace, if anything happens to him-"

"Go on." Simon interjected. He gave his best friend a reassuring smile before turning back to Isabelle. "I'm fine. I think." Asher decided to join in on Isabelle's small game of making the mundane flustered by winking at him. She noticed his Adam's apple bob up and down as he gulped.

"Where are we going?" Clary turned to Jace. He motioned to the room in front of them. "Training room." He looked over at Asher, who was too busy enjoying the sight of Simon squirming to notice. "Asher, you coming?"

Asher peeked over at Jace and nodded before fixing her eyes back on the mundane. A flirtatious smile rested on her lips. "Duty calls." She softly placed her index finger on Simon's shoulder, trailing it over the curve and down to the base of his neck as she walked by. Asher let her arm drop beside her and swayed her hips slightly, making her way over to the annoyed blond Shadowhunter and the unsettled redhead.

The mundane turned his head to watch her, not bothering to hide the fact that he was checking her out. The color on his face drained away when he made eye contact with Jace, his blue eyes more dangerously narrowed than before. Simon coughed in embarrassment and looked away, making the brunette chuckle. Jace grumbled once Asher reached them. "Are we going or what?"

"Relax, Wayland." Asher smirked, flipping her hair behind her shoulder. "We're just having some fun." She slid past him and backtracked towards the training room.

"Let's go talk to Hodge."