Chapter 27

My eyes fluttered open and the sunlight caused an immediate blinding as it streamed in through the blinds. A moan naturally worked its way past my lips as my eyes adjusted to the new lighting situation. When I was finally able to make sense of shapes, I saw Dustin standing only in a pair of navy blue boxers in front of one of the curtains; his left hand on his hip as his right one held a coffee mug filled to the brim.

"Mmm, you look better than a photograph." I said, watching as his shoulders relaxed the slightest bit, his head whipping around with a wide grin sprawled across his lips.

"I was wondering when you were gonna get up," he placed the mug to his lips and took a sip of the dark liquid, "we got a full day ahead of us now." He came to the edge of the bed and sat down, offering the mug to me to which I graciously cupped it into my hands.

After forcing myself to drink the coffee, that Dustin hadn't added a drop of cream or sugar too, I looked at him, cocking my head to the side as I did so. "Full day?"

"Yeah, the animals aren't gonna feed themselves." My ears perked up as he said this, for as long as I can remember I have wanted to live on a farm, mending to the animals- especially horses.

"Will there be horses?" You could sense the excitement in my tone and I wasn't going to mask it.

He let out a mix between a 'tsk' and  laugh before answering, "yes, theyr'll be horses." With this new information I all but leaped from the bed, after shoving the mug into Dustin chest careful not to drop any of the hot beverage, and began rummaging through my bags prepare for the task ahead.

" With this new information I all but leaped from the bed, after shoving the mug into Dustin chest careful not to drop any of the hot beverage, and began rummaging through my bags prepare for the task ahead

We sat down at the kitchen table for a quick breakfast, Aunt Sue had prepared pancakes and eggs galore.

"Thank you very much, it was delicious." A slight tinge of red fell onto her cheeks as she sat, fixing a plate for herself.

"Oh, it was nothing." She merely brushed it off, although, there was a note of happiness working its way through her words.

Dustin and I set out towards the door and I peeked in the living room to see Mabel fast asleep on one of the burgundy colored couches, her hair covered a majority of her face as she mouth hung open asking for the slobber to dribble it's way out. I smiled at her, although she was obviously not of mind and body in that moment, I imagined she smiled back because the thought of her hating me caused great ache to my heart.

"So where's the barn?" We were rounding our way around the outside of the house as the dirt and gravel crushed underneath Dustin's cowboy boots, which I practically got onto my knees and begged for him to wear. The winter air was harsh, but luckily I was prepared and dressed in a winter coat.

"Are you kidding?" He pointed straight ahead and suddenly my head snapped in that direction, about a half a mile ahead of us sat a large red building that was near impossible to miss and I immediately felt the what rushing to my face at asking such a question.