Chapter 23: "That was one hell of a throw, you play baseball?"

~   ~   ~   ~   ~ 

~   ~   ~   ~   ~ 

It was a miracle and a half that June wasn't killed on their run to the forest's edge. 

Because of their dwindling numbers, the alien troops were resorting to drastic measures (as if they hadn't been doing that very thing before.) They were, in the most basic terms, virtually suicidal. 

They lunged at anyone and anything that wasn't on their side with vicious force, fangs bared, claws outstretched. 

All June did was focus on trying not to die, and running as fast as she possibly could. And she didn't need to worry about bashing the aliens aside, Steve had that covered. She spent five seconds trying to convince him that, "I can handle myself, Steve," and, "I'm not a maiden in distress." 

His response was a look that, very clearly said, 'If you complain one more time I'll smack you upside the head.' Nat gave her the same look too. 

June stopped trying to stop him after that. 

Natasha was also a huge help, without her telling June to, "Keep running straight, not to the left idiot," June would've been running in circles. 

The distance to just the edge of the forest was at least a half a mile, and it took them a dozen minutes getting there. At a normal pace in normal conditions, June would've been able to run that distance in five minutes, maybe less if she really tried. 

Steve would've done it in like, two, she thought quietly to herself, probably less. 

That thought gave her a little grin as they closed the distance. The number of bodies was thinning out as they ran closer. June could see the detail of the trees clearer now, and once, a flash of red magic mixed with the green of the forest. 

They finally broke the tree line, but not without some serious bashing through brambles, and climbing a steep hill June was not ready for. 

It was a chaotic mess, to say the least, Steve caught her from falling at least twice, and she'd grumbled thanks each time. Nat snickered every time it happened. 

When they finally reached the crest of the hill, June had to immediately hit the dirt as Wanda sent a stocky, heavy-set alien back the way they'd just came. She vaguely recognized it from the footage from New York from the few seconds she did see it. 

June stood tall again, Steve and Nat beside her. "That was one hell of a throw, you play baseball?" 

Wanda rolled her eyes, walking over to Bruce, on the ground, wearing a very badly damaged Hulk-buster suit. 

June followed, kneeling beside Wanda as she pulled the helmet back. "You okay in there, Bruce?"  

He did a double take, looking at everyone gathered in a circle around him. "I think so? Help me up?"