Chapter 7: "I hate to say it, and it pains me to, but I agree with Vision."

~   ~   ~   ~   ~

~   ~   ~   ~   ~

June really shouldn't have tuned out for the majority of the following conversation, but after coming to the conclusion that Iris was most likely in space? That was a little hard to handle. 

Everything June worked, everything she had done, it had all been for nothing. Maybe not nothing if Iris came back alive, but if June had just protected her a bit more, her younger sister wouldn't even be there in the first place. 

There was a short of ache in her chest, a sense of impending doom. Maybe it was because Iris was no longer in her hands, or perhaps because she'd thrown herself (and maybe Iris) into the most dangerous situation in years. 

It pushed down on her like a cinder block, an invisible one, but a heavy invisible one. It pressed on her chest, pushing the air from her lungs and making it hard to draw a breath. Guilt filled them like concrete, and June breathed out, shuddering. 

If Steve, standing right next to her, noticed, he didn't show. Instead, Captain America continued to try and save the world. 

God, she really shouldn't be petty about that. Maybe it was the fact that she spent so long trying to protect one person, and one person only, another whole group stressed her out a bit. 

But she couldn't just leave them. The Avengers were the few people who understood what she was trying to do, and though some didn't agree with the way she protected Iris with everything and anything, they stood by her. June appreciated it, more than she let on. 

A hand on her shoulder jolted her into the room once again. As it turned out, Steve had noticed her somewhat distressed state, and it was his hand on her shoulder. She looked up, giving a forced reassuring smile. June knew it wouldn't put him off forever, but long enough to get caught up in the saving the world problem.  

"June, you alright?" 

She nodded and looked back at the group surrounding the middle table. Time to put on your big-girl face, you've got to be tough, for Iris. 

And that's exactly what she did. Hardening her face and banishing any pain etched in her eyes, she straightened. 

Vison's voice was the second she heard clearly, and she didn't like what she caught. "-e have to destroy it." 

June's eyebrows skyrocketed. "Destroy what?" No one answered they all stared at Vision with varying emotions. Clearly, I missed something, she thought. 

The android continued. "I've been giving a good deal of thought to this entity in my head, about its nature. But also, it's composition. I think if it were exposed to a sufficiently powerful energy source, something, very similar to its own signature, perhaps its molecular integrity could fail."