Chapter 22: Better Things To Do

Start from the beginning

We all echo with 'amen' and watch Topher head back down to the competitor zone with Vin and Joe.

"Who did we just pray to?" I whisper to A.J.

"Kanaloa – the Hawaiian god of the deep sea," he says. "Kale wasn't really into the Hawaiian culture until he moved here, mainly because everyone was into it there and he's the only one here. He likes to stand out."

That's obvious. Kale has never blended into the background in any instance I've seen him. I follow A.J. back to Topher's tailgate and watch the first two surfers take off in the first heat. From what Vin has said, Topher is light years ahead of the other riders competing today. There is no real prize – just the glory of having the best score. But this is Topher's first taste of a real competition. He swears someday he'll surf for Great White , even if Vin refuses to sign him any time soon.

"I think I'm more nervous than he is," Vin says as he sits on the tailgate on my other side.

A.J. leans forward. "He'll be okay. He's going to be the best out there."

I glance up at the current heat – two guys who look even younger than Topher – and one is pummeled by a wave. His board flops over the water, and I hold my breath until I see him come back up. I'm tempted to send some prayers up to Kanaloa myself.

"Haley!" Linzi rounds the side of Topher's truck. "I swear, every time I spot you, it's like you disappear before I can get over to actually talk to you."

That was sort of the plan. I've been able to avoid her this long, to avoid the Colby Taylor conversation that's inevitable, but I can't really run away now.

"You missed it," she stresses. "You missed seeing Colby Taylor surf. The west coast surfer. The reason we drove across the country."

Vin wraps his arm around my shoulder. "She had better things to do."

Linzi's jaw drops and her forehead wrinkles. "Better than watching him surf? Seriously? There's nothing better to do in Crescent Cove than watch a local celebrity do what he does best."

Actually, I could think of plenty of things. Jet skiing with A.J. Hiding in The House of Mirrors with Reed. Watching Alston and Dexter fight over that hot pink Frisbee. Walking the shores of Horn Island with Miles as he kicks a Dr. Pepper can. Hearing Jace's band perform. Eating cereal with Topher even when he's hyped up on sugar cubes at seven o'clock in the morning. Kissing Vin Brooks. Oh, that list just goes on and on.

"She was with me," Vin says. He tightens his arm around me. "You and Alston aren't the only ones trying to get your last minute thrills in."

My face burns the color of a flaming red Horn Island sunset. If A.J. had said it, I'd have elbowed him with all my might and buried my face. But Vin? God, I can't even begin to believe he said it in the first place. I guess the secret's out – even though the whole 'last minute thrills' was a total exaggeration. Linzi stands in front of us, eyes widened, speechless. Vin's little remark might've been worth it for that kind of response.

"A.J., save our seats," Vin says. He grabs my hand. "C'mon, I want you to meet someone before Topher goes in."

He walks us directly in between Linzi and Alston, as if he's making some sort of statement, and leads us over to the competitors' section. Topher waves a shaka at me, but I know that's not who we're here to see. Joe meets us halfway under the tent. He's a lot shorter than I'd thought. I also expected him to look more sad, more tired, but his eyes dance with a light in them just like Topher's.

"I was starting to wonder if you were ever going to introduce us," Joe says to Vin. He reaches out to shake my hand. "Joe McAllister."

"Haley Sullivan," I reply, although I have this gut feeling that he knows exactly who I am just as I know who he is.