Hair

Kristof

August 15, 2016

You did not show up that morning.

It was stupid to think everything could still be the same between us. But I really wanted it to be. I tried to call you but you wouldn't answer so I thought you were just busy or something. I wasn't sure if you changed your number but it was ringing so I just hoped for the best.

As exaggerated as it sounds, I did stay in the middle of the park for four hours like I was "the man who can't be moved". Only, I didn't have a cardboard with your name on, just a box full of pictures and a pile of words unsaid.

I also didn't stand there the whole day because after four hours of blissfully reminiscing our childhood and anxiously thinking of how to explain everything, I finally got the balls to go and knock on your doorstep.

But I chewed some minty gums, took deep breaths, and brushed up my hair first before doing so. It was the first time we'll meet again after five years. I had to look good at least. My heart was pounding as my finger pressed the doorbell.

Life was really having fun throwing lemons at me.

A buff, tattooed stranger opened the door.

"Is Katie here?" I asked as politely as I could with a half smile.

He furrowed his brows and cracked his knuckles. "You're the one my wife's been cheating with?" He daunted.

I, of course, widened my eyes in shock and confusion. "What?"

"Nah." His face lightened up. "Kidding. We just moved here. I have no idea who you're talkin' about." He shrugged his shoulders with sullen aloofness.

I tried to call you again. Your phone wasn't ringing anymore. May was my last chance but her grandmother said she was out of town. Fear gnawed me, thinking that I had totally lost you.

A week of roaming around the city, hoping to somehow bump into you, had passed. Now was my first day in college.

Free time after lunch break, I went to the library and searched for a corner where I could try to get some sleep. Then I saw a girl sitting alone near an open window.

The sun kissed her brown hair as it waved at the side of her glasses and flowed down her cheeks to the pages of the book that rested on the wooden table. She lifted her head and smiled to her side. My heart skipped a beat.

"Katie," A voice called out from somewhere. Hearing your name made me smile so wide I thought I could pass as the Joker. "I was looking everywhere for you." A jock came out from behind the shelves and walked proudly towards you.

My smile vanished inch by inch as I watch you tuck your hair behind your ears and reveal your face for him to kiss.

_____________________________

A/N:

Please vote and comment and tell me what you think? :3