:Believe Me, I'm Lying: 16

Start from the beginning

I clenched my teeth, swallowing hard. "I know... I have Will."

My uncle smiled slightly. "Family guidance, Harley."

"Elliot," I responded just to tease him. I couldn't be angry with him. I knew he just wanted to help. But the way he was talking sounded like he was trying to replace my parents- which he could never do.

He laughed. "Right." He stood up, adjusting his coat. "I'm going to go talk to Anthony now, and I'll see you two Monday morning."

"Whatever," Oliver grumbled.

My uncle grimaced at him. "Bye, Harley."

Pushing myself off the couch, I waved to my uncle, who then left the room. A small sigh escaped my lips. I really did appreciate his concern, but after living for eight months on my own without any help, his sudden worry threw me off guard. It was nice, but I didn't need it. I was okay on my own.

"Hey."

Oliver's voice made me jump. I had forgotten he was in the room! I turned to him and found him watching me with an eyebrow raised.

"What?"

"Look, I don't know what your uncle was talking about, but if you have family issues and can't handle this job, I'm not going to black mail you into working here," Oliver muttered, looking away from me.

I stared at him in surprise. "What?"

"I'm not repeating myself," he snapped.

"Um..." I trailed off, unsure of what to say. What was up with Oliver's sudden kindness?

"Elliot, right?"

"Huh?"

Oliver gave me a flat look. "That's your brother's name, right?"

I nodded. "Yeah."

"If you need to watch him or whatever, just tell me and you don't have to come in."

"Okay...?" I frowned at Oliver. "What's with the sudden change in attitude?"

Oliver scowled. "What are you talking about?"

I faltered under his hard gaze. "Um, never mind... But I can handle this job. It's fair. You keep my secret, I'll help you..."

"I said if you can't handle it you don't have to."

"I can handle it," I insisted, frowning the tiniest bit. Did Oliver suddenly not want me to work here now? If so, why did I feel so upset by it? "I'll be fine."

"You have a bank account, right?"

"Huh?"

Oliver rolled his eyes. "What, are you deaf?"

"No," I snapped, feeling my face heat up. "You just randomly change the topic and I don't catch it. Yes, I do have a bank account, why?"

"To deposit your paycheck," Oliver told me as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

Once again, I was taken back. "I get to keep it?"

"Duh. Why wouldn't you?"

"Um, I thought you would take it," I admitted sheepishly, feeling foolish for thinking that. "Never mind though."

Oliver opened his mouth to say something, but before he could make a noise, the door behind me opened. Oliver's eyes shot past my shoulder and his eyes narrowed, a scowl appearing on his face once more. After a second's hesitation, I looked over my shoulder and saw a very pretty woman standing in the doorway. Immediately I recognized Melissa's features and realized this was Oliver's step-mom.