-two-

Setting:

- Location: New York

- Time: 1945 - 10 years before the events of Carol

- Carol: 29 years

                                                            __             __ 

~introduction part 2~

Once Carol got into her car she just started driving, not really sure where she was headed. She thought she might stop at a coffee shop or maybe even a cafe to calm down a little bit since she was almost in tears. 

It may have seemed like a stupid fight, one she shouldn't have gotten this angry about. And it was, but when it happens all the time it isn't stupid anymore, it's painful. When it's constant, when the pain is constant, that's what makes it worse. And it had gotten to that. To them hardly ever having good days, him always treating her like the least important thing, or him not even paying attention to her. And she tried to keep her peace for a while, she did, and maybe she could have handled it better but she was starting to not cope. And there was only one person who could understand properly. Someone who knew Carol better than Carol herself did sometimes. Abby 

Carol found herself driving in the direction of Abby's house. She didn't know why. Abby had been travelling for the last couple months. it was only February and Abby wouldn't even be back until early March. But still, Abby's home, Carol had a key, so she would often go inside and sit in her porch or her living room. Something about  Abby had always made her feel better. That's part of the reason she kept Abby around. 19 years they had been friends. She doubted she'd be with Harge for that long.

                                                                       *          *          *

She pulled into Abby's driveway and got outside. When she got into the house she took a deep breath. Flowers, honey, peaches, syrup. Abby's house always smelt amazing because of all the candles and plants she had around. She also leaves freshly baked cookies and pies on her table which adds to the sweet scent she carries around. Carol sniffed again, it smelled a little too sweet as if someone was baking and she started to get a whiff of apples. Oh no, it smelled like apple pie, Abby only bakes apple pie when something bad happens. 

"Carol?" asked a very confused Abby coming from the kitchen.

"Abby...you're back."

" I am. I meant to call you, I only got back a couple days ago... what... what are you doing here?" she asked

" I um... was just checking to see if your house is alright." answered Carol

" It's fine" smiled Abby, " my home is yours you can come here anytime." she hugged Carol and buried her face in her warm shoulder. When she looked at carols eyes she saw her mascara was smudged. 

" Are you... crying?" she asked

Carol wiped here eyes. " Are you baking apple pie?" 

" I asked first. Sit down i'll bring you some pie." Abby said smiling at her friend.

" alright" whispered carol.

                                                                *            *          *

when Abby returned with the pie Carol was staring at an empty wall in between the fireplace and a bookshelf. 

"That's where Andrew's trumpet stayed. Why is it gone, where is Andrew." she looked up at Abby

Abby sat down next to Carol. " That's why I came home early. Andrew, he's gone."

" What do you mean he's gone?"

" Exactly what i said. He's gone and he isn't coming back. In Italy one night we had a fight and he didn't come back to the hotel room. Then in the morning flowers were sent to our room with a note that said I enjoyed last night Drew, can't wait to see you again x Celia." 

" Fuck the flowers, Fuck Celia."

" That's what he did. And after I came out of the shower his stuff was gone and he left me a note that said, we aren't working Abby, this should be it. Carol he left a note! A god damn note. "

" That son of a bitch didn't deserve you anyway. And since when did he introduce himself as 'Drew'?"

" I'm done Carol. I'm so done with men screwing me over." she rested her head on Carols shoulder.

" So you made apple pie."

" So I made apple pie" Abby smiled

" It's delicious by the way" added Carol, " Andrew is the one who lost here."

" Thank you. Can I have a piece."

" Sure open" said carol gesturing for Abby to open her mouth. 

"Mhm wow I am pretty good." she laughed

" promise me one thing okay" said Carol breathing very close to Abby's face

" anything."

" Never bake Apple pie again, talk to me instead. show up at my house whenever. I'm here."

" Doesn't Harge mind-"

" Oh fuck Harge."

" I promise" she said "But only if you give me your last piece of pie."

Carol picked up the last piece with her fork and put it in Abby's mouth. "There."

" Oh I almost forgot. About before, you were crying... about what?"

" Harge and I...but this might be a bad time since Andrew-"

" Carol Aired if you don't tell me right now-"

" Fine alright. We just fight. All the time. Before we moved I could take it, I thought he was stressed...."

Carol Told Abby what had been happening

" Oh Carol."  She shifted so she was sitting right next to her and held her hand.

" What should I do? Do I leave him."

" No don't do that. Harge is a good guy. He's not an Andrew. And it's hard to find someone like that. Well it's hard to find a man like that."

" So I should talk to him about it?"

" Yes, tell him it's serious and talk to him about it. I'll even come with you so he's forced to listen. It might take time but you guys will get there. And i'll be there the whole way." Said Abby

"Really?"

" Of course, I've already been here 19 years. You're not pushing me away very easily."

And thus the begging of an era began 

                                                                    _                  _

hope you enjoyed this x