Chapter 86: His Majesty Ning's empty pockets

Start from the beginning

Lou Zigui readily accepted the advice as he admitted his wrongs. "Prince speaks rightly. It was this one who was wrong."

"Take him out to be beaten," Prince Zhi ordered as he pointed as Xie Laifu. "Leave him alive, then toss him back to the Grand Preceptor's estate!"

After Prince Zhi's guards accepted the order, they hesitated. They were already standing in the streets, so where else could they drag this man? In the end, their leader decided to have the men bring Xie Laifu to the street entrance. As usual, there weren't many people there besides a troop of soldiers under the Nine Gate Infantry Commander's and a bunch of commoners who kept their distance and spoke in hushed tones.

"Beat him," the leader of the guards said as his men threw Xie Laifu to the ground. The guards moved forward and thoroughly beat him up. Like this, Second Steward Xie Laifu joined Head Steward Xie Laibao to be confined in bed with heavy injuries. (o(╯□╰)o)

"Since prince is safe and sound," Lou Zigui said as he took his leave in the street, "Then this one will now depart."

"Supreme Commander, don't be so hasty to leave," Prince Zhi said. "Let's find a place to talk."

On one side, the imperial clansmen all stared at Prince Zhi's swollen face, which had distorted his features beyond recognition, and privately thought it'd be better for him to find medical help first.

Lou Zigui thought so as well. "Shouldn't prince find a doctor first?"

"No need," Prince Zhi said as he spat another bloody mouthful of saliva onto the ground. Because his gums had been injured, his mouth wouldn't stop bleeding. But Prince Zhi believed he could hold on because he'd once fought on the battlefields as well!

Lou Zigui gave him a bow. "Then this one will accept deferentially instead of declining courteously."

Prince Zhi was different from Prince Fu, who had enjoyed comfort and wealth as a nobleman all his life. While Prince Fu only bothered with his lands, he'd never take action beyond moving his mouth when someone bullied him. Prince Zhi was much more difficult. He was a man who loved wealth and sought vengeance just for an angry look directed his way. As Lou Zigui saw it, he was the one most likely to cause Grand Preceptor Xie headaches.

--

The Dragon Guard who'd left Lady Xiang's estate to search for Lou Zigui first saw Xie Laifu getting beaten up at the entrance to the street, then Supreme Commander Lou riding his horse amongst ten or so imperial clansmen. They were heading towards the west end of the lane. The Dragon Guard wanted to chase after Supreme Commander Lou, but he was stopped by Prince Zhi's jittery guards when they turned their arrows on him. If he hadn't flashed the Dragon Guard medallion by his waist in time, he would've earned a beating himself. Once he made his intentions clear to Prince Zhi's guards and looked back up again, Lou Zigui had already disappeared. The Dragon Guard had no choice but to return and report to Ning Xiaoyao.

At that moment, Ning Xiaoyao was standing outside a snack stall. The owner of the stall stared at the duo who had been hovering by his stall for about half an incense stick's length of time before taking out the cooked egg yolk from the pot. The egg yolk came from duck eggs dipped in red chili oil. When they were fried with steamed husked rice covered in wheat flour in a pot of oil, the golden yellow hue and enticing smell were already enough to thoroughly infatuate Ning Xiaoyao. After all, she'd never seen such back in her world.

"I want to eat that," Ning Xiaoyao whispered to Shadowgale, who was looking gloomy. It wasn't because he thought His Majesty was shameful for being such a glutton, but because he hadn't brought any money with him today!

"How about we go back and get some money?" Ning Xiaoyao asked.

Shadowgale lowered his voice and respectfully said, "Wait here awhile, Your Majesty. This servant will take some money from the house we came from before."

Unruly Phoenix XiaoyaoOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara