Chapter 66: His Majesty says, conspiracies fear the light

Lou Zigui was dumbfounded at first, before he broke out into laughter. "That's impossible." Who would dare marry their daughters to me?

Ning Xiaoyao said, "Don't worry about that part. Just tell me whether you like Miss Ji or not."

Lou Zigui didn't even think as he replied, "I see her only as a little sister."

"Really?"

"How could these be words be a sham?" Lou Zigui cupped Ning Xiaoyao's chin and tilted her head back to look him in the eyes. "Things like this concern a lady's reputation and integrity. You shouldn't speak carelessly."

Ning Xiaoyao pursed her lips. How much was reputation worth? Could you eat it? Supreme Commander Lou could tell with a glance that Ning Xiaoyao hadn't taken his words to heart. He lowered his voice and said, "Miss Ji's brother got married four years ago when he turned blind. But he hasn't had a single child with his wife. Thus, Miss Ji needs to recruit a son-in-law."

"What's 'recruit a son-in-law'?" Ning Xiaoyao asked.

"That means someone who marries into the bride's family."

"Heheh, I don't get it."

"In other words, a live-in son-in-law," Supreme Commander Lou's phrases were turning more and more vernacular.

Ning Xiaoyao finally understood the last one, so she nodded and said, "That's true, ha. They'll still need some babies with Ji surnames. This is what they call 'producing male heirs to continue the family line,' right?"

Lou Zigui said, "I have to defend the Lou family, so how could I marry into the Ji Clan?"

"So you only see Miss Ji as your little sister?" Ning Xiaoyao's brain was quick on the uptake this time.

Lou Zigui nodded once and said, "Yes."

Ning Xiaoyao stood in silent tribute to Miss Ji for all of 30 seconds. Treating someone like their little sister was like telling a little girl or boy that you were their older brother. Anyone who ran into those words was sure to have a 120% failure in starting a relationship with their chosen one.

"Satisfied?" Lou Zigui bent down to ask Ning Xiaoyao.

Ning Xiaoyao rubbed her nose and docilely replied, "Satisfied." The stifled feeling in her heart suddenly disappeared, so why wouldn't she be pleased?

"Who told you that Old General Ji wanted to marry Miss Ji to me?" Lou Zigui asked.

Big Boss Black jumped off Ning Xiaoyao's shoulder and quickly ran away.

"........" said Ning Xiaoyao.

"Who was it?" Lou Zigui asked.

"I'll go take a look at the kitchens," Ning Xiaoyao had to escape as well, but Lou Zigui grabbed her hand and towed her back. He'd never been in a romantic relationship in his life, so he had no idea the girl before him might have just been eating vinegar[1. 吃醋 chi cu - "eating vinegar" – or eating sourness. It means being jealous]. Instead, he assumed that His Majesty could be sounding him out. Ji Jiu had hurried thousands of miles from the border to the capital just to give a full account of Lou Zigui's deeds in battle. Would His Majesty start worrying that the Ji Clan was too intimate with him?

When Ning Xiaoyao saw that she couldn't run away, she could only clear her throat and jab Supreme Commander Lou imposingly in the chest. "You two were standing so close to each other that you almost stuck together. Yet you still won't let me question you with a lie or two?"

"What?" Supreme Commander Lou's handsome face momentarily twisted. Could anyone just make up lies as they pleased? "The relationship between Miss Ji and I is pure and blameless. When were we standing so close that we nearly stuck together?" Lou Zigui asked.