ten

high school

high school. one of the best memories i've ever had and basically the best four years of my life. everyone always complained about their high school experience. they've always said how terrible or cringey or stressful it had been. but for me it definitely wasn't. i had always been the kid that would joke around in classes and never do the work and get away with it 'cause i was close with my teachers— well, some of my teachers at least. there were definitely times though during my high school experience that i wasn't a fan of though. in this case it was the homecoming dance.

not that the dance wasn't terrible, per say. i just wasn't the dancing type. and dressing up in a tux wasn't fun either. probably the most embarrassing thing about that day was who i had ended up going with. i hadn't been asked to go with anyone at the time yet as the day was drawing nearer — not that i was waiting for anyone to ask me — when finally one day natalie had approached me and told me that she lost her dog. or at least something along the lines of that. as soon as i spotted her dog tied up to the tree in her background with a little note tied around it's collar i had already fucking known what was about to happen.

so yeah, me and natalie had gone to the homecoming dance together. platonically and out of sympathy, as i'd like to put it.

having to take group pictures with my other friends that were all going and natalie all dressed up for at most 30 minutes wasn't even the worst of it. my "date" ended up leaving me to sit alone in the cafeteria the whole time while she got to dance with the whole football team having the time of her life. i wasn't jealous or angry at her the slightest, it only annoyed me that i had been dragged to the stupid dance all for nothing when i could have doing something better at home. the only thing that was sort of funny about that night was when people would approach me to mention something about what natalie was doing.

"yo, david!" at the sound of my name i glanced up from the snack i had snatched from the gymnasium where the homecoming dance had been occuring. the food was the only thing that was keeping me from just walking home. i watched as a guy that i briefly talked to throughout the year — kyle i think? — began to approach me.

i let out a quiet, annoyed sigh, knowing that an upcoming conversation was about to ensure, "hey, kyle." i said, as i raised one of my hands to wave at him slightly before dropping it back on the cafeteria table.

"dude, did you hear what's been going on?" kyle took a seat right across from me, as he crossed his arms on the table.

"what about?" i made sure to make my tone sound uninterested as i glanced down at my food began to eat more of it again.

"with your girl. her and tony were both getting it down on the floor out there." kyle motions to the direction of the gymnasium with his head for a short moment.

i choked suddenly on my food at the words "your girl", raising my hand to cover my mouth from not only coughing but to stifle my laughter. that had been most of the comments i had gotten the whole night with "my girl" dancing with another guy. i tried to even play along with the people that approached me just to entertain myself. when i finally had stopping coughing, i looked up at kyle, "no shit, dude. really?" i try to act surprised but it ended up sounding more sarcastic.