"You sure roll your eyes a lot," Gill stated with a grin before her friend could give another dumb reply.

We reached the soccer field where most of our classmates were already gathered. Redmille blew his whistle and forced everyone to turn their attention to him.

"Running for ten minutes as a warmup!" he ordered. Silent groans of lack of enthusiasm arose yet everyone quickly shut up and started running once Redmille shot his students a threatening glare.

Yikes, this man was terrifying.

"Come on, Kiri," Gill smiled. "Show us what you can."

I raised a brow as I started running next to her. "I'd rather raise a kid than try to impress you."

"I think you'd fail at both," Asher stated nonchalantly and I rolled my eyes at his words.

"I don't know if you know, but still nobody cares about your opinions," I replied.

Gill sighed, turning my attention back on her. "You should stop talking and save your energy. You'll need it if you want to impress the coach."

"I don't-" I didn't even get to defend myself because before I could finish that sentence, she had already picked up her pace. Soon enough there was a pretty long distance between us and I was all alone again.

I sighed in annoyance and straightened my back a little. Even though I couldn't care less about what others thought of me, especially Gill and her friends, the fact that they had the impression I sucked at this stung a little. I wasn't very active, but I wasn't incapable as well and for some reason I wanted to prove that.

So I steadied my breath and picked up my pace, focusing on the ground beneath me as I ran next to my classmates. When the ten minutes were finally over I was panting heavily, yet I was surprised to see that I didn't even have a stitch.

I grinned at Gill and Asher when they walked by. See, suckers? I could do this. Hell yeah, I was awesome.

While I was still dwelling on my most recent triumph, Redmille shouted at everyone to form a line and started handing out the red straps again. I faintly recognized the face of the girl that I was standing next to, but I couldn't remember her name.

This time I didn't get a strap but earned a firm glance from the coach when he walked past me. Geez, if he gave me that look when I was actually participating and doing well, how would he react if I ever slacked off?

Once he was done handing out the straps I looked around for my team. My mood dropped a little when I noticed that Gill was nowhere to be seen, but Asher and Sam were on my team.

"This is going to be fun," I mumbled quietly while walking towards them, not at all believing my own words. Of course it wasn't, we were going to play fucking soccer. How could anyone possibly enjoy that?

"Kiri!" Gene greeted cheerfully once I reached my teammates. "We're on the same team today!"

"What, really?" I replied, looking down on myself. "Hey, you're right. Neither of us is wearing a strap."

Gene's smile faltered a little but he shrugged off my words. It seemed as if he wanted to turn this brief exchange of words into a conversation yet that was harshly prevented by Redmille blowing his whistle again, indicating that the match was starting.

I watched as Gill and a boy went to the middle of the field and placed the ball between them. Another whistle, and Gill kicked it away from him and towards a teammate.

I tried to focus on the game but soon felt discouraged when said game turned out to be rather boring. There were a few people who gave all they could and worked their asses off just to navigate the ball across the field while everyone else, including myself, just stood there and looked pretty.