1

With a condition like ours, you get used to moving from town to town. How long we can stay depends on the size of the community. In a big city, we can stay hidden for a couple of years. Sometimes....it only takes a couple of days before we're hunted like rabid animals again.

This time, it was the latter.

Will drove down on the sun-soaked road. The air brushed against the dark skin of my arm as it hung out the window.

Dark bags hung under Will's eyes as he squinted at the road. The color fading into his irises. He drove all night for us and was using the wheel to keep him propped up. The high noon sunlight showed all the scars on his face, both faded and new.

His bottom lip was missing a patch of skin. Part of his right ear was gone. Jagged claw marks covered his neck as if it was a scarf.

I was sitting in the passenger seat watching the signs and scenery that flew by us. Glancing down on my arms, the cuts and bruises were pretty much healed. What were once giant gashes and blue marks were small paper cuts and light brown circles.

I never got used to how fast we can heal. I keep expecting to see my arms to be nothing but bloody stumps.

I ran my hand over my arm gently, rubbing the muscles, pressing down on the tendons, making sure everything worked properly.

It was a rough night. But compared to most other nights, it went well as it could.

I looked over at the back seats to check on the others.

Adam was hugging his knees, his face aimed at the floor. Red hair was poking out between clamped fingers. Last night-events and self-judgment crushed him.

The first change never goes the way you want. There are always things that'll go wrong or pop up during it. The best thing we can do is minimize the damage as it happens.

I wrenched my head behind me to see Gwen, a flat expression stamped on her face. Nicks and bruises covered her face from last night, along with a split lip. Her small nose was bent to right when Adam swiped at her when he shifted. Her brown hair was forced into a messy bun, small strands of frizzled flat hair poking out.

Even though we heal fast, some things don't go away. Silver and attacks from one of us.

I should've had Gwen sit in the front with me and have Will sit with Adam. None of his scars were made by Adam. So there wouldn't be a constant reminder. Shit.

I caught Gwen's eye and nodded over to Adam. Talk. To. Him.

The flat smile on Gwen's face grew bigger as she traded a shrug. I've tried.

I jabbed a finger at a stray dark curl springing out of my head. Then lowering my finger to my neck. Putting your hair down might help.

Gwen lightly slapped the side of her head once that thought finally came to her. She pulled off the ponytail letting her hair blanket over her neck. The flat smile evolved into a sheepish smile giving me a okay sign.

On her neck were dark purple bruises in the shape of Adam's hands. He nearly choked the life out of her when he shifted.

Lord, I hope I wasn't that bad when I first started.

"How you doing Adam?"Gwen asked.

"Not great." Adam croaked back.

"Cool."

Gwen's face winced from her reply. She shot her face back at me for help.

That is a new record for this group. Oh god.