T H I R T Y-O N E

Start from the beginning

"Hey, we have a rule here."

The two males turn their heads when Cyrus joined the conversation with a glint of mischief in her eyes.

"You want to argue, do it with your fists."

Hyde tilted his head at her, "Isn't the saying: fight with your words? Not with your suggestion."

"Not here," She held out her pale hand to him. "Cyrus, first class guard. All violence is excepted here-and encouraged."

"That's..great."

Kai shook his head and peered over Hyde's shoulder when the door reopened. "Hey, Cyrus why don't you show Hyde your amazing knife skills. I'll be right back."

The female guard sputtered at him but he just walked past the two to greet one of the King's secretary.

"Yes?"

The man lightly flinched when he lingered in front of him before he cleared his throat.

"Sorry for intruding on anything, I was simply scouting for the princess's guard."

Kai pointed over his shoulder and the secretary nodded. "Is he needed?" He asked.

"No. The princess is with the King and her guard had left without notifying her. He asked me to look for him."

It was Kai's turn to nod. When the man shuffled in his spot he took notice of the papers he held.

"What are those for?" He pointed to them and the secretary held them up.

"Just unfilled paperwork."

Kai's eyes darted up, "For the prince?"

"Um, yes."

"I can take them." The vampire took a step closer to the secretary, which made him flinch again.

"Um, uh-"

"I am his guard-or was-is-whatever. I can take them for you to save you the hassle."

Perplex and confused at his odd determination, the secretary held the papers out slowly and Kai took them with a smile.

"Thanks."

When the man blinked, Kai was already entering the mansion from the back door and the man raised an eyebrow.

"Shouldn't I be saying thanks?"

††

Carver sighed when he saw a face he wasn't supposed to see appear in the second floor.

"Kai, I can't let you see-"

"Wait, wait, I'm only giving you the paperwork to give to Iris...King's orders."

Carver quirked an eyebrow at him as he took the lengthy stack of papers from Kai and checked them over. He too, was a first class guard and though they didn't have particular history, Kai and Carver were well familiar with each other. And Carver wasn't afraid to tell the vampire off.

He patted the papers as if to show Kai he accepted them and tilted his head at him.

"Is that all."

"Yes."

Carver nodded and turned around, starting to walk towards Iris's office which was only a door down.

"Actually, if you could do just one thing for me-"

Carver turned around with a glare. "Kai," He sighed in a warning tone.