Chapter Fifty-eight

I had Jamie pick me up at Mr. Jensen's shop for the ride to the airport. I needed to make good on a promise. I had arranged it with Mr. Jensen beforehand.

I walked into the store and asked, "Sassy, could you please come outside?"

"Why? Can't you see I'm busy?" Sassy responded. She was still mad that I was no longer going to work at the store.

"I think you might like this," I said.

"Fine. What?" Sassy then came out and saw the limo and Jamie holding the door for her.

"Are you ready, Miss Sassy?" asked Jamie, and we all burst out laughing.

"Ashley. Her name is Ashley," I said.

Standing even taller now, clicking his heels together, Jamie announced, "Are you ready, Miss Ashley?"

"Really. Can I ride in it? I have never been in a limo before."

Laughing, I said, "Yes. You can ride to the airport with me."

"Can I drink the booze? Limos have booze, right?"

Still laughing, I replied, "No Ashley. You have to get back to work after you drop me off."

"How about one shot of Jack? That's all, just one. For old times' sake?"

"We'll see; now get in."

We did end up having that one shot of Jack on the ride to the airport, and Sassy rode most of the way with her head out through the roof, with her long dark hair flowing behind her looking like a goddess, whistling and waving to the people on the sidewalks and in their cars. I smiled all the way to the airport. Sassy always made me laugh, and I was thrilled.

But it wouldn't last.