The Mission

How can I make this work? My eyes darted over the complex pattern of papers I had arranged on the table. This was far more difficult that I had thought. The clock ticked loudly and I glanced up. Loki was going to be here soon for a planning meeting, and it was going to be a disaster. All this information, and I really had nothing. How angry would he be?

The door handle clicked behind me and I spun around. Earlier than expected. Wonderful.

Loki closed the door with a smile. "Aliana. How are you?"

"Good, I'm good." Could he tell how frantically my mind was racing?

"Excellent." He sank into a chair and looked up at me. "Shall we begin? Show me what you have."

I took a deep breath and wove my fingers together in front of me. "Well, first, I have maps of the whole facility, I have the exact location of the exhibit within the museum, I have the dates Mardh will be there and a list of all employees who would normally be on the floor where your staff is, I-"

"Aliana." Loki held up a hand to stop my rush of words. "You clearly have done tremendous background research, but how does it fit together to get us inside?"

I straightened my shoulders and tried to look as confident as possible. "That's the only area where I'm having a bit of a problem. I was hoping to get your input on that-on accessing the building. Everything else, I have worked out."

"So, you don't actually have a full plan, is that what you're telling me?"

I stared into his eyes, and for a fraction of a second, considered lying. No, that would be very stupid on my part. I cleared my throat.

"No, my lord, I don't." My palms were slick with sweat. How angry would he be?

Loki watched me consideringly for a moment. When he spoke, he voice was quiet and calm.

"Aliana, are you afraid of me?"

"Yes, my lord."

"Loki. Enough of this 'my lord' nonsense." He rose and walked slowly around the table to stand directly beside me. "Tell me why you fear me."

"I... I don't want to disappoint you, my lor- Loki. You've trusted me to do this, and I have some much information, but I'm stuck, so I feel terribly incompetent. I don't want to disappoint you and fail at my job."

Loki watched me seriously. When I was done, he nodded. "I completely understand. I loathe looking foolish as well."

I clenched my jaw. Great. He confirmed it. I must sound ridiculous. My eyes burned and I stared at the opposite wall without blinking to force back the tears of embarrassment that threatened to fill my eyes.

"Sit, please."

Loki's voice jerked me out of my thoughts. He was already seated. He patted the chair beside him. I sat stiffly and waited for the inevitable castigation.

"What is troubling you? Did you think I was going to dismiss you from my army because you ran into a problem?"

Put that way, it sounds asinine. He studied my face, waiting for an answer. At my silent nod, his smile faded.

"Aliana, look at me. I chose you for this job. You are excellent at it. In fact, you are unparalleled at researching and analyzing the details. If you are stuck, it becomes my job to help you. You aren't incompetent. Everyone needs help occasionally. I'm not angry, nor would I dream of getting rid of you. I want to help you."

"I don't want to bother you, though. You're very busy-"

"This mission is important and so are you."