You'll Do Perfectly

I stood in the back of the hall, aware of the guard's solid presence next to me. His presence was the only thing keeping me from turning and hurrying away from the room and out of the palace. Well, maybe a tiny bit of curiosity, too.

The room was gorgeous but imposing, gold and marble everywhere and brightly painted frescoes decorating the ceiling. It would be fascinating if I was just sightseeing. The buzz of voices filled the air and servants hurried in and out the doors near the entrance. If only there was a way to disappear back into the quiet familiarity of the forest. I felt very small and disheveled amongst the other people in the room.

I glanced up at the guard again. "Are you sure Prince Loki will be interested in me? I really don't think I'd be at all what he's looking for."

A short bark of laughter came from his lips. "While you were in the washroom, I sent for your background papers. You are exactly what he's looking for."

I exhaled and looked toward the door again.

"It's all right." He raised his head as a name was called. "Ah, that's us, come on."

He took me by the elbow and guided me forward across the never-ending expanse of shining marble until we stopped at the foot of the stairs leading to the throne.

"My greetings, Gerard." Loki addressed my guard. "Why have you brought this lady before me?"

"Your grace." Gerard bowed. "I have brought you a new recruit for your army." He stepped forward and handed a packet of papers to Loki. "Her information."

Loki's gaze flicked from Gerard to me. He set the papers on the wide arm of the throne, never even glancing at them.

I knelt awkwardly. Why is there so much mud on my boots? I should have checked before walking up here. Why am I worrying about my boots?

"Please, rise."

I stood and tentatively glanced up at Prince Loki. A small smile played on his lips as he looked me over, turning his head this way and that and narrowing his eyes consideringly.

I swallowed nervously under his penetrating stare. There has to be some mistake. There just does. I would be terrible in an army.

Finally he spoke. "Thank you, Gerard. You may take these back to the record keepers." He extended the papers with an approving smile. "Well done."

Loki turned back to me. "Did Gerard tell you what I am seeking?"

"No, your grace." Is that the right form of address? "He just said you needed my information."

Loki shook his head. "I have no need of the papers. I know what's in them." He looked me in the eyes. "You wonder if I have mistaken you for someone else, don't you?"

I nodded silently.

He smiled. "You are Aliana, from Midgard. You came here eight months and three days ago as one of the scholars Odin requested. You teach literature to Asgardians at the Royal Academy, but your true love is history and archaeology. You have studied writing and music, and love to debate." He leaned forward and his smile grew. "You also love learning new things and never pass the chance to gain a skill or explore, whether in the library... or the woods."

My eyes met and held his guiltily. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to-"

"Don't apologize. You've done nothing wrong. Gerard was right. You'll do perfectly."

"I... will?" I stared at him in confusion.

"Of course." His smile changed to a thoughtful expression. "Speak your mind, please."

I drew a deep breath. "Well, I've never been in a fight, and I think I'd be pretty useless there. I don't have any special skills that lend themselves to the army, and I, I just don't know how I can actually help you."

"Ah, you misunderstand when I say I need new recruits for my army." Loki gestured to the soldiers lining the walls. "I have fighting men aplenty." I am seeking individuals with unique traits, ones that have special skills or knowledge. You are one of those people."

"I see." What skills does he think I have?

He was watching me intently. "You are familiar with an 084, are you not?"

My brow furrowed slightly. "You mean the SHIELD classification? An object of unknown origin?"

A brilliant smile lit up his face. "You see? Perfect." Loki rose from the throne. "Come with me. I need you to accompany me to the west wing of the palace. We must begin organizing your training."

I glanced down at my muddy boots once more as he descended the steps. I guess he's right, I never want to pass of the chance for an adventure. Let's see what happens.

Loki gestured ahead of him. "This way, please."

I took a deep breath and accompanied him from the room.